Friday, May 27, 2005

Spotted in San Pedro: AssHigh Gaming Computer


I was shopping up on Western the other day and I came across this mildly humorous, but not "I want to buy a computer from you" inspiring ad in the window of a local computer shop.

Not to be a jackass, but so far as I know, unless you like to batch process photos in Photoshop while fragging your opponents in Quake, having as second processor in a gaming machine is a lot like buying an extra engine for your car that just sits in the garage, in case you need it. This $2400 monster also comes with a new piece of advanced technology called a "Netword Card", which was spelled wrong in several other posters as well.

4 Comments:

Blogger mjp said...

i love that store, i get all my netword cards there.

but dual processors are old news. if they really want to soup up that machine they need a
quadruple GPU motherboard.

otherwise you may as well be using my 5 year old P3 Micron.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

I actually RTFA'd the quad GPU motherboard article this morning (since it sounded like a suction pump for idiot keyboard jock money), and I can see some limited uses for such a project. If you were running dual-dual processor PCI-X graphics cards, and wanted to have all 16 pipes open, while only using 2 PCI-x slots. Basically that's the only reason you would buy this board. It's a stopgap piece of hardware, and we are going to see a lot more like it during the switch to PCI-X and the new motherboard form factor (BTX?). The wierd thing is, since it really doesn't have gaming apps (unless you are a jackass, or are importing games from the future), it's for folks doing rendering on multi-monitor setups, or on one big, multi-monitor ultra high-rez display, and the motherboard only has one CPU slot. If I were doing that kind of graphics work, I would definitely be rocking dual processors (or, in a few months dual dual-core processors), since the software I would be using would be all hot and bothered to take advandage of that. So it seems like a wierd sell, to me.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this post

Hey Calamari, you have a pretty good blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a knives Fantasy Knives. It pretty much covers
knives related stuff.

Come and check out knives if you get time, Nice going !

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this post

Hey Calamari, you got an interesting blog here! I'm definitely bookmarking you right now!

I have a Fantasy Knives site. It pretty much covers
knives related stuff.

Come and check out knives if you get time :-)

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home