Coming to 1st Street - The Carport of Babel
No, it's not reaching to the sky or anything, but I just have to share this photo of this crazy carport that is being built on my street. A large family occupies both houses on this big corner lot, and they are building the carport to end all carports.
But why steel frame? I'm getting this creepy feeling that the frame is to support the weight of an additional story, to squeeze even more useful space out of their property. I can only hope that the sheer ugliness of their property lowers values for the whole neighborhood, so that we can buy our place, instead of renting it. Or is there a reason for building a simple 1 story structure out of I beams?
But why steel frame? I'm getting this creepy feeling that the frame is to support the weight of an additional story, to squeeze even more useful space out of their property. I can only hope that the sheer ugliness of their property lowers values for the whole neighborhood, so that we can buy our place, instead of renting it. Or is there a reason for building a simple 1 story structure out of I beams?
4 Comments:
Office Tower!!!
i'm not sure anything short of an ebola epidemic will lower home prices in San Pedro. not when shotgun shacks on half lots north of 10th street are going for $300k. the last five years have been madness (the same shotgun shacks were $125k in 2000), and even if it levels off prices are still out of control. i blame the promenade, but then i blame the promenade for everything. the promenade and the bridge lights.
i will personally enjoy the "bridge to breakwater" path, but i don't see it being a tourist attraction, the way something like third street in Santa Monica is. but what do i know? perhaps we'll be overrun with even more speculators and dot com millionaires will be renovating the shotgun shacks, building them up four and five stories so they can see the Disney ships come in and out while they sip cappuccino and watch their e*trade accounts...
The latter sort of clientele is pretty much what the Bridge to Breakwater designers (EEK/Gafcon) were shooting for, even if nobody will admit it. Even after being forced to tone the thing down, they still want to build five-story office buildings along Harbor Blvd, and don't get me started on their fake "town square" at the foot of Sixth (or was it Seventh) street...
Again, the saving grace, as with the yuppie condos and "lofts," is that projects of this sort always fail in San Pedro, and so these projects too will surely fail in their turn. Whew!
While many of us are hoping that Pedro's usual hit-to-miss ratio mitigates some of the development intentions currently aimed at this town, we still need to be heard during the process. There is a meeting regarding the Bridge to Breakwater development coming up (I'll blog it in sec).
Post a Comment
<< Home