Wednesday, June 15, 2005

San Pedro Punk - In Progress


Currently I'm installing the exhibition History of San Pedro Punk at Angels Gate. I curated this project, and am really pleased to be able to bring a ton of art by and about the San Pedro punk community together in one place. The photo at left is of the 36 foot long wall of flyers and other related material that I am building for the show. Here is a closeup at the end of day one of installation.

Provided that I survive until then, it opens next Sunday, July 26.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you've been working hard, but isn't next Sunday June 26?

4:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. Are those original flyers that you're wheatpasting to the wall?

5:10 AM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

Next Sunday is June 26. This is a bit of a heavy duty install in terms of the number of physical operations that need to be carried out, but I have great staff and volunteer support and am moving right on schedule. Exhibtion design and installation has been my professional field for the past 10 years, and my speciality is working on site specific or installation art, so I'm used to working on tight deadlines with little room for error. Lost a bit of time trying to puchase commercial wallpaper paste in town, FYI, no on carries it anymore or someone has done a run on it at every hardware store in town.

All of the older flyers are duplicates. A couple of folks who are really into the scene leant me their files so that I could have copies made. Because the source material was in such good condition, the copies look really good. As we get to the 90's - 00's there will be some originals that I was able to obtain in duplicate from the bands/promoters that made them. The large format posters from the recent shows at the Dancing Waters and some Recess Records materials that have been generously offered up for sacrifice by the label, for example.

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I guess I should go and see if I'm in any of the crowd shots. That Nip Drivers/Decry show (lower right corner) never happened, BTW, at least in that form. If I remember right, Aaron White had something to do with putting it together, but I can't remember why it didn't come off--the venue suddenly realized that these were punk rock bands, or there was an ego problem with one of the bands, or some shit. Wait, I think the gig was actually supposed to be at Slav Hall. Or maybe I've got it mixed up with another show that didn't happen. Um, what were we rappin' about, again?

4:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I Might Be Giant - You're right on about the development in Old Town.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, anonymous. But right now, we're talking punk rock. Punk rock, baby! Got any Pedro punk memories to share?

3:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home