Hahn on the AFL-CIO Schism
From today's Daily Breeze
In a statement, Los Angeles Councilwoman Janice Hahn stressed that the labor movement must stay united to win "some big labor battles in California."
"Today's actions are disappointing to all of us that believe in fighting for working men and women and I hope there is still a possibility of mending fences," said Hahn, who represents the union-rich Harbor Area.
Personally I hope that this provides some local impetus for the Teamsters to get moving on more aggressively uninionising truck drivers currently working in and around the Port, making things safer for everyone on the roads and on the docks. Will this be the shot in the arm that the labour movement in America needs? Or will it divide the movement making it harder to recover?
2 Comments:
Shot in the arm!! Shot in the arm!!
(I hope...)
IMHO, it all comes down to the new "coalition" of unions desire and success in spreading the labour movement into the service industries. I don't care if they unionize Walmarts or start blowing them up in the dead of night, but something's got to be done.
Post a Comment
<< Home