Overheard in San Pedro
No, it's not a horrifying quotable by some know-nothing Manhattanite, it's the stout brass sound of the lone tuba-ist. At about 3:30 this afternoon, I went out of my office at work, only to be tempted by the faint strains of somber brass emanating from this stoic soloist.
Why was he practicing the tuba in a park, on a Friday afternoon? Perhaps he's insane (not unlikely in this town, and not meant as an insult. Being insane in Pedro is a common hobby). Perhaps he's bold, eschewing social convention, pushing his brassy wind, where and when he chooses. Regardless...
Tuba Man, we salute you!
Why was he practicing the tuba in a park, on a Friday afternoon? Perhaps he's insane (not unlikely in this town, and not meant as an insult. Being insane in Pedro is a common hobby). Perhaps he's bold, eschewing social convention, pushing his brassy wind, where and when he chooses. Regardless...
Tuba Man, we salute you!
4 Comments:
He was practicing for his other gig... following Larry David around all the time.
I wonder if he's related to the saxophone guy who plays late at night in the Red Car barn near 22nd and Harbor Blvd.
At least I think there's a saxophone guy in there. All I know is that when I take my occasional ten or eleven PM walks down that way, I can often hear the sound of a wailing saxophone emanating from inside the barn. For all I know, somebody could be playing recordings of a unaccompanied saxophonist really loud. But why? Why?
phillip, that was good. larry david, very damn funny!
reminds me of someone who used to play the flute in and around sunken city. the first couple times i head it i thought, "well that's nice..." but eventually it became like fingernails on a blackboard. flutes need other instruments around. solo instruments they ain't.
oh yeah, and a guy who for a few months parked his car in the park, right in front of Walkers and blew (very badly) a trumpet while accompanied by distorted jazz tracks blaring from the speakers in his open car doors.
and people say there's no culture here!
Post a Comment
<< Home