And in More Harbor Comission news...
According to Mayor Sam's Sister City, incoming commissioner Radisich may not live in San Pedro after all. Will the sole Harbor Area Comissioner really care about the community (no one is going to question Radisich's loyalty to international labour) if he doesn't really live here. I for one want a real advocate for San Pedro & Wilmington on that board, more than I want an advocate for labour. Anyone have thoughts/input on this?
4 Comments:
Smells like the result of oppo research. I wonder who funded it, and why?
I'm more curious about it than anything else. Researching a comission member's financials to get a read on them would be normal procedure for any journalist, but how that data is used is another matter. I could easily see a journalist doing some light research and coming across some interesting data, and then doing a little more research on that (calling/visiting his neighbors, probably asking light background questions, fronting a "human interest" story), and then writing up a little piece, maybe using the residency thing to sell the article to his/her editor. Given that there doesn't seem to be any kind of organised movement against Radisich, I'd say we're not looking at any real attempt to discredit him.
The only interest that I could imagine might have an angle on having him booted from the comission would be the Port itself. How's his relationship with their leadership? What have been his politics towards the Port and its management?
It seems like an incredibly minor detail, but Mayor Sam's Blog's bread and butter is making mountains out of molehills. Given that he's going to be the sole harbor "resident" on the Comission, I'd rather see someone who's more vested in the San Pedro community than Radisich. I'm sure he'll do a fine job, but I don't see labour isssues as the big ones on deck for the harbor right now, and that's his primary interest. Will he be the best person to be making decisions regarding the bloated Bridge to Breakwater project? I see that as the primary issue of concern for the community at this point. Does anyone with the ILWU have any kind of read on his opinions? How plugged into the community is he (beyond the ILWU and -ich/old San Pedro community).
I doubt that any anti-ILWU story would be a very hard sell at the right-wing Daily Breeze. The whole story has "hit piece" written all over it; the only question (as you suggested) is who, in particular, wanted Radisich "hit."
It is well known that Joey Rad lives in MB. He brags about it, throws parties at his Strand pad for his buddies, then says in the Breeze that it is "noble" for him to come to Pedro to help us out. Even has his sister write a letter to the editor whining that they are picking on him - even after he is making this sacrifice. SACRIFICE? To come help us poor slobs in SP? Don't do us any favors! What kind of labor leader drives a foreign sports car (BMW) and lives on the Strand? What a fake!
Post a Comment
<< Home