daily musings about the oddities of san pedro, california.
Monday, September 26, 2005
Gutter Sounds
As we all know, San Pedrans, especially the natives, will put the town name on anything. I don't know if this CD got scuttled accidentally or purposefully, but I can't help but wonder what sounds were on it that merited the label.
Hmm...if it was recorded near Point Fermin Park I assume it is really awful 60's and 70's music, executed (in every meaning of the word) by really awful bands. They perform there every weekend for what seems like 11 months out of the year.
I would like to toss most of those bands into the gutter, but sadly, U.S. law prohibits that kind of dumping. And that probably wouldn't stop them from playing, so...
My dad has worked with most, if not all, of those bands as a sound engineer and he has pretty much the same opinion of their music that you do. (But hey, money's money.)
Thanks, Phill, for making me think of the shitpile that is Titanic Johnson. When I posted this image I was thinking more along the lines of "I bet that thing's chock full of Minutemen songs."
I think we've just found something that all of the LOTE people--contributors and commentators (commenters?) alike can agree upon: Pedro doesn't really need any more 60s/70s cover bands.
Well, it keeps the 40-60 booze hound population docile, so maybe there is a social function of these bands? Without classic rock cover bands to occupy their addled senses, they might riot, taking over the community and making us all wear leather vests and listen to Creedence. Maybe hearing damage from revving your Harley + pisswater American beer * getting over your meth addiction = Sweet aural ambrosia. There has to be a reason, doesn't there?
You would assume so, but sadly, no, there is apparently no reason aside from laziness, unimaginitivity (?) and good old USA apple pie atrophy.
Actually the summer (and fall and spring) weekend park crowds would probably prefer Ranchera or Marachi - I know I would. Or they could amplify raccoon vs. feral cat fights - anything (a challenge for Phillip's father, but likely easier than working with the bands).
Anything but another god damned version of (You've Got To Change Your) Evil Ways, please lord. Please. I never asked you for anything before jeezus, just do this for me and I'll leave you a plate of cookies on Christmas eve...I promise...
Knowing Bill Ginder, I bet he would relish the chance to amplify a raccon vs. stray cat deathmatch. The hard part is taping the mikes, but after that, you just sit back and watch the fun.
Have you seen or heard any of the Christian music events there? I saw a picture of one, in a flyer, and they brought in a fakey stained glass window backdrop and turned it into their church by the sea. Just when you thought 70's rock was bad...
7 Comments:
Hmm...if it was recorded near Point Fermin Park I assume it is really awful 60's and 70's music, executed (in every meaning of the word) by really awful bands. They perform there every weekend for what seems like 11 months out of the year.
I would like to toss most of those bands into the gutter, but sadly, U.S. law prohibits that kind of dumping. And that probably wouldn't stop them from playing, so...
My dad has worked with most, if not all, of those bands as a sound engineer and he has pretty much the same opinion of their music that you do. (But hey, money's money.)
I, happily, have managed to miss them altogether.
Thanks, Phill, for making me think of the shitpile that is Titanic Johnson. When I posted this image I was thinking more along the lines of "I bet that thing's chock full of Minutemen songs."
I think we've just found something that all of the LOTE people--contributors and commentators (commenters?) alike can agree upon: Pedro doesn't really need any more 60s/70s cover bands.
Well, it keeps the 40-60 booze hound population docile, so maybe there is a social function of these bands? Without classic rock cover bands to occupy their addled senses, they might riot, taking over the community and making us all wear leather vests and listen to Creedence. Maybe hearing damage from revving your Harley + pisswater American beer * getting over your meth addiction = Sweet aural ambrosia. There has to be a reason, doesn't there?
There has to be a reason, doesn't there?
You would assume so, but sadly, no, there is apparently no reason aside from laziness, unimaginitivity (?) and good old USA apple pie atrophy.
Actually the summer (and fall and spring) weekend park crowds would probably prefer Ranchera or Marachi - I know I would. Or they could amplify raccoon vs. feral cat fights - anything (a challenge for Phillip's father, but likely easier than working with the bands).
Anything but another god damned version of (You've Got To Change Your) Evil Ways, please lord. Please. I never asked you for anything before jeezus, just do this for me and I'll leave you a plate of cookies on Christmas eve...I promise...
Knowing Bill Ginder, I bet he would relish the chance to amplify a raccon vs. stray cat deathmatch. The hard part is taping the mikes, but after that, you just sit back and watch the fun.
Have you seen or heard any of the Christian music events there? I saw a picture of one, in a flyer, and they brought in a fakey stained glass window backdrop and turned it into their church by the sea. Just when you thought 70's rock was bad...
Post a Comment
<< Home