Sunday, September 04, 2005

More Bridge to Breakwater News

From the Daily Breeze

A thought that's been on my mind, from time to time - Doug Epperhart and Noel Park must be mandatory for all speed dialers at the Breeze office. Whenever the Breeze needs a quote from a San Pedran, they often go for convenience over depth (not that that isn't standard practice at most newspapers). That being said Doug and Noel are great, hard working community representatives and we are better off for their efforts.

Also it looks like there's gonna be "Public Meetings for the Content of the Draft Environmental Impact Statement/Draft Environmental Impact Report (EIS/EIR)" coming up. With that kind of snazzy name, you know folks will turn out in droves.

CEQA Scoping Meetings (hosted by POLA)
Sept 15 & 29 at the Ports O' Call Restaurant, 6-8:30 PM

CEQU/NEPA Scoping Meetings (hosted by POLA and USACE)
Thursday, October 11, 2005 at the Los Angeles Harbor Hotel, aka the Sheraton, 6-8:30 PM

More information on these lampshade wearin' shindigs here and here .

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, friend, do you want to s.@.t./.s.f.f.y your w1fe with a g*1*@*n*t pe.n1s.s?

Good, because I've got one. Stand aside!

But seriously, folks, I'd like to know where on earth Donna Littlejohn got the idea that "others" in the community are "beginning to rally around the port's plan." Papadakis, whom she quoted, has always been behind it, since he sort of invented it, and he's always stood to make a buck from it. And he's been sniveling at the meetings for months about how the mean, nasty community members with "agendas" are trying to spoil his dream for him, so God knows there's nothing new about that.

As for the Chamber of Commerce, there's nothing new about them being mindlessly pro-business either. That's what Chambers of Commerce do, and I don't remember them being against B2B in the past, so I don't see how that qualifies as an example of people in the community "beginning to rally around" this monstrosity, either.

And no mention of the fact that the highest-"density" option was hidden from the public until the last minute and is now being used, just as the neighborhood councils predicted it would be, as a gimmick to create the false appearance that the port's "preferred" option is some sort of compromise.

Not one of Littlejohn's better articles--not that that's saying much.

Hey, but I can't wait until I get my pre-printed "I support Bridge to Breakwater" postcard so that I can send it to the Mayor with "support" crossed out, "oppose" written in, and a short, to-the-point explanation of exactly why provided in the space for "comments." Stupid brainless, soulless fucks.

2:01 AM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

Yeah, I noticed the link spam, something's gonna be done about it. Sorry if anyone inadvertently bought internet viagra or anything.

I don't think most of the community even knows there is a plan. I live in Central San Pedro, which is 60+% Latino, and I don't see any of that community coming to any of these meetings. In fact, I mostly see middle class Coastal San Pedro folks there. I don't think any real efforts have been made to gauge real community support.

The Chamber's cheerful advocacy of anything supported by big business is why I and many other businesses are not members.

That postcard thing is not a bad idea. No one ever sends things like that in, anyway, I doubt sending it in in either flavour will add up to a sack of mail.

7:04 AM  
Blogger mjp said...

We can make people have to be logged in to comment, but the spammers probably have logins...

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you wouldn't have to read my crap anymore if you did that, since I don't have a Blogger account. On the other hand, it would deter casual readers--people who stumbled in after Googling on "San Pedro," or whatever--from leaving their comments, just because of the pain-in-the-ass factor of requiring people who don't have an account to get one, or those who have one to log in, before posting a comment.

Besides, wouldn't you feel foolish if one of those spammer guys really DID have a way to turn $6 into $6000 while working at home in your spare time? Shit, wouldn't your face be red then?

3:39 AM  
Blogger mjp said...

My face would be red indeed. But on the upside I could finally relax and listen to Tony Robbins tapes while griddling up some yummy, healthful veal-kabobs on my George Foreman grill.

But you should have an account, then we could add you as a writer here.

7:34 AM  
Blogger mjp said...

In the meantime, I just click the garbage can icon next to the spam and it goes to spam heaven.

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tempting, but I would have to do some major backpedaling after all the shit I've talked to friends and family about the blog culture. I guess I could take the angle that writing for a community blog is different from having one of those "hey look at ME here's another story about ME and some stuff that happened to ME and how I feel about what happened to ME" blogs.

4:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home