Thursday, September 22, 2005

A Perspective on Gentrification


The plaque at right is part of a larger work, created by artist Craig C. Stone, as a commentary on gentrification that was taking place in the early 80's in Washington D.C. Although we aren't at the point where poor people are being forced from their homes to make way for luxury housing, I thought it serves pretty well as a reminder of the damage that poor development can cause to a community.

Currently Craig's work is on view at the El Camino College Art Gallery.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. Actually, I probably could have. I'm just practicing being modest, in case it ever comes in handy.

But that's not why I'm here. Since I can't start new threads on this blog, I thought I would put this somewhat startling link here, where more people are likely to see it than below one of the older port-related posts. It's part of a reeeeeaaally interesting special issue of the LA Weekly concerning bad air quality in Los Angeles, with some emphasis on the crap we get from the harbor. Nice, huh?

3:47 AM  
Blogger mjp said...

Argh. So we're only 50 times more likely to get cancer from the air than anyone in a "cleaner" region. Nice. You can only imagine what it was like in the 40's and 50's...

And again, you should have posting permission here. Just click on that "contact me here" link over there on the bottom right and get yourself set up!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

I'd like to see that map with more data from areas in the Harbor where people actually live. I have no doubt that the air on Terminal Island is raw cancer. I'd also love to see the stats for the Peninsula as a whole, as due to it's elevation, it's smack dab in the middle of the smog/air pollution layer. When I was in junior high school, we used to have "Carbon Monoxide Days" almost every week, due to the altitude and winds, we were not allowed to engage in exercise. Do we still have those, or have things improved since the 80's & 90's?

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home