Let's All Go To the Movies
While the Warner Grand Theatre is usually playing something worth seeing, some things worth seeing are more worth seeing than others.
With that in mind, I order everyone with butts to get them into seats for Robert Greenwald's newest documentary Wal Mart: The High Cost of Low Price. There was a preview screening at the theatre on September 11th, but now is the time to see the polished product at the universe's greatest movie house.
Every San Pedran with an investment in a strong labour movement should see this film, especially in the light that the 15th got cornholed by Wal Mart when one opened up in Harbor Gateway. Yes, there is a Wal Mart in our town, at least in our council district. How did that happen in one of America's strongest labour communities? And is there anything we can do about it? See the film and get your anger up!
Tonight only!
3 Shows! 5:30, 7:30 & 9:30
$7 bucks!
With that in mind, I order everyone with butts to get them into seats for Robert Greenwald's newest documentary Wal Mart: The High Cost of Low Price. There was a preview screening at the theatre on September 11th, but now is the time to see the polished product at the universe's greatest movie house.
Every San Pedran with an investment in a strong labour movement should see this film, especially in the light that the 15th got cornholed by Wal Mart when one opened up in Harbor Gateway. Yes, there is a Wal Mart in our town, at least in our council district. How did that happen in one of America's strongest labour communities? And is there anything we can do about it? See the film and get your anger up!
Tonight only!
3 Shows! 5:30, 7:30 & 9:30
$7 bucks!
3 Comments:
See the film, get your anger up...and then hopefully realize that Target--which is about to come directly to San Pedro (how the fuck did *that* happen?)--isn't much better than Wal-Mart. And then keep your anger up.
I'm writing this ex post facto, by the way. Good film, what I saw of it (I had to be back at work at eleven, so I ducked out on the last twenty or thirty minutes). But let me just say that DVDs on a full-sized movie screen...well, they don't quite cut the mustard as far as visual resolution is concerned. Of course, this was a documentary and not a Stanley Kubrick film, so in this case it didn't detract too much from the experience. But, I'm just sayin'.
Anyone want to fill me in on what I missed (after we're introduced to the young female employee of the factory in China)?
All in all, I shouldn't have gone to work tonight. Not only did I miss the last part of the Wally World flick, I also missed what was apparently the best part of this evening's Congressional meltdown: Representative Murtha getting up there and delivering a long overdue bitch-slap to the Republicans over the war in Iraq, live on C-SPAN. Fuck! Fuck!
Babbette's Feast was great Saturday night! Every time we sort of burn out on the Warner Grand, they do somethig like Babbette's Feast and pull us back in. Outstanding!
I love Smog, just discovered it. I know, I know, it's been around over 10 freakin' years (I read your post about that...) but hey, there's a LOT of websites out here!! Anyways, I love how you think, and you make me smile.
Post a Comment
<< Home