Our Neighbor to the North
Well, more the Northwest, but Northy, that's for sure. I wanted to post a link to the very interesting Palos Verdes Blog, run by Bill Lama, an admitted Right Wing Republican, and a fitting representative for your sterotypical P.V. resident.
It's mainly focused on national and international politics, and really doesn't seem to be about Palos Verdes, which is a little disappointing, given that there are so many interesting things about P.V. that one could write about (hiking, cycling, environmental issues, development issues, school issues, etc...), if one were to do so.
It's mainly focused on national and international politics, and really doesn't seem to be about Palos Verdes, which is a little disappointing, given that there are so many interesting things about P.V. that one could write about (hiking, cycling, environmental issues, development issues, school issues, etc...), if one were to do so.
11 Comments:
I think it will be up to you, Life on the Edge, to start blogging about actual PV-specific topics that DON'T accidentally bore readers to tears.
I'd read it. Hell, I'd even comment on it.
I found his blog pretty entertaining. Nothing like a retired, dude in Palos Verdes for a solid perspective on global politics.
My theory has always been that San Pedro should take Palos Verdes by force. How much of a problem would that be?
The PV Land conservancy are doing a great job of open space preservatio/restoration, evidently dirty words in San Pedro.
Their Coastal Sage Scrub restoration projects, including White Point Park, are truly making history.
How's that from a Baja PV resident?
Baja PV? No way! I say we call them "San Pedro del Norte".
Fuckin' A right! We were here first! Baja PV my ass...
I'm down, but only if we get to do a General Sherman number on that fucking golf course of Donald Trump's*. Then, as the first act of our occupation government, we select cool old Japanese people at random and set them up as farmers on half of what used to be Trump's land, with the other half allowed to revert to nature.
Then, as the second act of our occupation government, we ban all white tennis skirts. Just to be dicks. Muahahahaha!
*Formerly known as "that fucking golf course of Ken Zuckerman's."
Come on. Have a little sense of irony guys.
Anyway, I can't really claim credit for "Baja PV". It actually came from a hilarious letter to the editor in the RLN suggesting names for the proposed new city. Remember that?
Another good one was Rancho San Pedro. The author thought that it would be quite efficient, as it was already painted on half the buildings in town.
I could probably figure out a way to dig it out and post the whole thing, if anybody cares.
Really, we don't need to come up with a clever name for occupied Palos Verdes--just an updated one. "The Green Woods" hardly applies anymore; can anybody provide a mellifluous Spanish translation for "The Garish McMansions" or "The Mall With An Ice Rink In It"? Bingo, there's your name!
Also, just to make something clear, I don't advocate any kind of misguided nation-building mission here. No trying to bring democracy to the benighted subjects of PV, or anything like that. No; what I think is called for is straight-up, old fashioned imperialism. We simply exploit their natural resources (hills, German cars, what's left of their wide open spaces), and use their population for cheap white-collar labor and as a captive market for some of our less marketable exports (diesel exhaust, San Pedro magazine, bad stoner-rock cover bands). It's a win-win proposition! Well, for us.
Amen on the less marketable exports!
Speaking of less marketable exports, how about people who make a little money, move to "The Garish McMansions", and then come back to advise us on how to overdevelop our Community.
"Parks are bad, they bring the homeless, drug dealers, gangs, and prostitution" "Plus which, they are an inefficient land use because no one is there at lunch time on weekdays."
If only we could export them permanently.
Post a Comment
<< Home