You think Vons is bad, you should try picking up your photos or a gallon of milk at Rite-Aid on Gaffey and 5th one night. Can you say Star Wars bar scene?
I can't stand that Rite Aid. Parking there is a nightmare for my van, and the service at the Rite Aid is always beyond lackluster. They've got one of those security guard by the door things going on too, which is a little too ghetto for the neighborhood.
I'm sure the SavOn will take them right out, if only by not being so bad. Of course they will sell the same things at the same prices, and there is no real competition going on, and the community will only benefit to the extent that the abandoned bank where the SavOn was finally got taken out, but hey, that's progress!
Just what we needed: a chain drugstore two blocks away from an existing Rite-Aid and one--count 'em, one--block away from Seaside Pharmacy! How did we ever survive for so long without such a thing?
And hey...check out the progressive, and aesthetically pleasing, twenty-first century design of the new place. Cinder block construction, set back from the street and surrounded by a big parking lot. Très charmant! Gaffey Street is well on its way toward having all the pedestrian-friendly urban sophistication of Hawthorne Boulevard. Whee!
(You just knew I was waiting for a chance to bitch about that thing, didn't you?)
You're not the only one. As far as I'm concerned the Rite-Aid and theh SavOn are the same damn business. I suppose we can only hope that the SavOn drives the Rite-Aid out of business ASAP, so we can get back to normal. Maybe then, a different kind of business will fill the old RiteAid's slot and we might actually get better shopping on Gaffey. The SavOn adds nothing to our town. Nada. Zip.
I've been in and out of Seaside a number of times lately, I'm giving them a thumbs up. I don't always back the little guy, cause sometimes the little, local guy is a bigger, less friendly asshole than the big guy. Seaside definitely has the goods.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for better shopping, or better anything, on Gaffey during our lifetimes. The whole thing from the freeway to 19th Street is like a living laboratory of every discredited urban planning idea relating to main thoroughfares to come down the pike (as it were) since the 1950s. Clusters of drive-through fast food joints? Check! Big-box shopping centers? Check! Strip minimalls? We got 'em! Hideous cinderblock architecture? Look no further! Car-centric, pedestrian-hostile sidewalk and building layouts? You came to the right place!
What blows my mind is that with all of these affronts to decency in plain view up and down the street, some people actually spend their time complaining in print about that pedestrian overpass right by the entrance to the freeway. Yes, by all means, tear that thing down so that visitors can have a clearer view of the McDonalds and the Holiday Inn. Fucking pinheads.
Dooood! We saw this, too - the night we visited Walled City. It was injesting gas at a filling station at Gaffey/1st. All class prejudice aside: the driver WAS fairly hot - for a 40-something woman in Pedro, that is.
10 Comments:
That's the one with the liquor behind a separate counter, yeah? That right there is a bad sign...
Not trusting patrons to not just riot and loot the liquor section is always a bad sign.
Yeah. I saw the greatest patron ever the other day there.
A Filipino woman in her 30's. Probably weighing 110 pounds, super fit.
With big 80's hair, lots of eye makeup. Not crazy bad, 20 years ago, she would drop jaw (if you were into that look at the time).
Wearing - skintight stone washed jeans, tucked into her suede calf height stiletto heel boots, a low cut top, and a black denim jacket.
Carrying - A pre-made box cake, and stacked on top of that - three half gallon cartons of Lactaid.
At around 10:30 at night.
What party of lactose intolerant folks was she shopping for? The world may never know...
You think Vons is bad, you should try picking up your photos or a gallon of milk at Rite-Aid on Gaffey and 5th one night. Can you say Star Wars bar scene?
I love that RiteAid! Where else can you get three half gallon cartons of Lactaid at 4am? But the new SavOn will probably kill them.
Best testimonial for Vons I've ever heard! I'll have to check it out.
You guys should send them a bill.
I can't stand that Rite Aid. Parking there is a nightmare for my van, and the service at the Rite Aid is always beyond lackluster. They've got one of those security guard by the door things going on too, which is a little too ghetto for the neighborhood.
I'm sure the SavOn will take them right out, if only by not being so bad. Of course they will sell the same things at the same prices, and there is no real competition going on, and the community will only benefit to the extent that the abandoned bank where the SavOn was finally got taken out, but hey, that's progress!
Just what we needed: a chain drugstore two blocks away from an existing Rite-Aid and one--count 'em, one--block away from Seaside Pharmacy! How did we ever survive for so long without such a thing?
And hey...check out the progressive, and aesthetically pleasing, twenty-first century design of the new place. Cinder block construction, set back from the street and surrounded by a big parking lot. Très charmant! Gaffey Street is well on its way toward having all the pedestrian-friendly urban sophistication of Hawthorne Boulevard. Whee!
(You just knew I was waiting for a chance to bitch about that thing, didn't you?)
You're not the only one. As far as I'm concerned the Rite-Aid and theh SavOn are the same damn business. I suppose we can only hope that the SavOn drives the Rite-Aid out of business ASAP, so we can get back to normal. Maybe then, a different kind of business will fill the old RiteAid's slot and we might actually get better shopping on Gaffey. The SavOn adds nothing to our town. Nada. Zip.
I've been in and out of Seaside a number of times lately, I'm giving them a thumbs up. I don't always back the little guy, cause sometimes the little, local guy is a bigger, less friendly asshole than the big guy. Seaside definitely has the goods.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for better shopping, or better anything, on
Gaffey during our lifetimes. The whole thing from the freeway to 19th Street is like a living laboratory of every discredited urban planning idea relating to main thoroughfares to come down the pike (as it were) since the 1950s. Clusters of drive-through fast food joints? Check! Big-box shopping centers? Check! Strip minimalls? We got 'em! Hideous cinderblock architecture? Look no further! Car-centric, pedestrian-hostile sidewalk and building layouts? You came to the right place!
What blows my mind is that with all of these affronts to decency in plain view up and down the street, some people actually spend their time complaining in print about that pedestrian overpass right by the entrance to the freeway. Yes, by all means, tear that thing down so that visitors can have a clearer view of the McDonalds and the Holiday Inn. Fucking pinheads.
Dooood! We saw this, too - the night we visited Walled City. It was injesting gas at a filling station at Gaffey/1st. All class prejudice aside: the driver WAS fairly hot - for a 40-something woman in Pedro, that is.
Post a Comment
<< Home