Pronto's Tacos
The last restaurant that was at this location, a Salvadoran place called Costa Del Sol, was gangbusters, but no one knew about it and they couldn't stay in business. So after eating at Pronto's Tacos, the new occupant, I feel a need to spread the good word.
Despite the huge Latino community in San Pedro, the Mexican & Central American food scene here has always been disappointingly weak. Sure there are standouts, like the taco trucks of Pacific, Las Brisas and Baja Fish, but the majority of Mexican food in this town just doesn't cut it.
Enter Pronto's Tacos. The minute I saw the words "tortas, lengua, cabeza" on their sign, I knew that I had to check the place out. Although I haven't crossed the "I'm into brains" line with cabeza yet, I consider a good selection of traditional meats an indicator of quality in any ethnic restaurant.
So a couple of weeks back, working late, a couple of friends and I scooted on down Pacific for some late night dining. The minute I walked in and saw the 4 hanging boards of their menu, I was in hog heaven. Burritos, Tacos and Tortas each have an entire board to themselves, with the fourth board being devoted to other delicious things that don't fall into those three categories.
I've only eaten here three times, but I'm in love. Their lengua is so good it's hard for me to try other things, but as far as I am concerned their three stand outs are carnitas, their beans and their rice. Now Mexican food is a pyramid that is build upon a base of rice and beans. Fail to do these things justice, and your pyramid will fall apart. The beans have that smokey flavour that you only get when they are cooked in small pots, when the bottom of the pot burns a little and the rest of the beans become better for it. Their rice has what I look for in Mexican rice, not little fake saffron strands that suck up to proper Spanish rice, but little bits of corn, lima bean and peas, giving the rice a more substantial texture and good flavour to boot.
On to the portions and the meats. All I can say is that the Pronto's crew really knows how to pack meat into a taco. Their carnitas comes in big, fork torn chunks, not oozily moist, but not dry either. All they need is lime. If what you are craving is a decent belly filler of a meal at a good price, this place kicks ass.
The wierdness. Every restaurant has a darkside, the slight wierdness that takes it down a notch or brings it up. In Pronto's case, two wierd things stand out. First, their counter girl is obviously someone's daughter who has been drafted into the family busines, and she's at the bottom of the learning curve. So dealing with her requires a little patience. Second, their Cuban sandwich is bizarre. Maybe they are on the cutting edge of Cuban sandwich technology, maybe where they are from in Mexico a Cuban sandwich is a vastly different thing than the standard Miami style. No one knows for sure. I'm not saying that it's a bad sandwich, but it is marketed under a misleading moniker. In Pronto's defense, they do list the ingredients, so they aren't hiding anything from you on that one.
Getting there? Pronto's is located on the East side of Pacific Avenue, between 14th & 15th, and it looks like the picture above. They are open till at least 10 PM, and they do deliver, but I haven't tried their delivery service yet (but I will be). Next time you are comprimising between the bland food at Jolly Burrito and The Brite Spot, mosey over to Pronto's instead and get youself a treat.
Despite the huge Latino community in San Pedro, the Mexican & Central American food scene here has always been disappointingly weak. Sure there are standouts, like the taco trucks of Pacific, Las Brisas and Baja Fish, but the majority of Mexican food in this town just doesn't cut it.
Enter Pronto's Tacos. The minute I saw the words "tortas, lengua, cabeza" on their sign, I knew that I had to check the place out. Although I haven't crossed the "I'm into brains" line with cabeza yet, I consider a good selection of traditional meats an indicator of quality in any ethnic restaurant.
So a couple of weeks back, working late, a couple of friends and I scooted on down Pacific for some late night dining. The minute I walked in and saw the 4 hanging boards of their menu, I was in hog heaven. Burritos, Tacos and Tortas each have an entire board to themselves, with the fourth board being devoted to other delicious things that don't fall into those three categories.
I've only eaten here three times, but I'm in love. Their lengua is so good it's hard for me to try other things, but as far as I am concerned their three stand outs are carnitas, their beans and their rice. Now Mexican food is a pyramid that is build upon a base of rice and beans. Fail to do these things justice, and your pyramid will fall apart. The beans have that smokey flavour that you only get when they are cooked in small pots, when the bottom of the pot burns a little and the rest of the beans become better for it. Their rice has what I look for in Mexican rice, not little fake saffron strands that suck up to proper Spanish rice, but little bits of corn, lima bean and peas, giving the rice a more substantial texture and good flavour to boot.
On to the portions and the meats. All I can say is that the Pronto's crew really knows how to pack meat into a taco. Their carnitas comes in big, fork torn chunks, not oozily moist, but not dry either. All they need is lime. If what you are craving is a decent belly filler of a meal at a good price, this place kicks ass.
The wierdness. Every restaurant has a darkside, the slight wierdness that takes it down a notch or brings it up. In Pronto's case, two wierd things stand out. First, their counter girl is obviously someone's daughter who has been drafted into the family busines, and she's at the bottom of the learning curve. So dealing with her requires a little patience. Second, their Cuban sandwich is bizarre. Maybe they are on the cutting edge of Cuban sandwich technology, maybe where they are from in Mexico a Cuban sandwich is a vastly different thing than the standard Miami style. No one knows for sure. I'm not saying that it's a bad sandwich, but it is marketed under a misleading moniker. In Pronto's defense, they do list the ingredients, so they aren't hiding anything from you on that one.
Getting there? Pronto's is located on the East side of Pacific Avenue, between 14th & 15th, and it looks like the picture above. They are open till at least 10 PM, and they do deliver, but I haven't tried their delivery service yet (but I will be). Next time you are comprimising between the bland food at Jolly Burrito and The Brite Spot, mosey over to Pronto's instead and get youself a treat.
14 Comments:
I wonder if there is any connection with the new place at 25th and Western, which is also excellent, and really inexpensive?
I think the latter may be "Pronto" instead of "Pronto's", and the menu seems a bit less adventuresome, but it sure is a good value.
Alas, they have a bit of wierdness too, in the form of three TV set going all the time, which I absolutely hate. Even so, the food is so good, and the prices so reasonable, that I put up with the TVs.
Check it out if you're around 25th and Western.
Pronto's does have dual T.V. sets, and a loud as all hell jukebox, which has a mysterious and alluring selection of Norteno tunes on it. I love loud Mexican restaurants, one of my favourite places to be is Baja Fish during soccer season.
I'll have to check that place out.
It's not a true Mexican restaurant unless they have several TVs going at once, at least one of which features a Spanish-language talk show hosted by a big-titted bottle blond. Or a soap opera featuring several big-titted bottle blonds. Or a comedy/variety show featuring somebody like Bumble Bee Man and at least one big-titted bottle blond.
It's funny. Because the Mexican places with T.V.s are major social gathering spots for families and sports fans during soccer season. Which is cool, people leaving their homes, hanging out, shouting Goaaaaaal!
But I'll bet that Olde San Pedro looks at the Pacific corridor like it's a bastion of illegal immmigrant, criminal activity, as opposed to the bustling community that it is. Every Mexican restaurant is like a sapper digging at the foundations of their false legitimacy and superiority. It's a shame that the old, fat guys from the Italian American Club who linger there during Football (American) season can't get together with the fat, old guys who linger in the Mexican restaurants during Football (the rest of the human species style) season and realise that they are the same dudes.
Alas, no big-tited bottle blondes, only stupid baseball, basketball, and American football games. The other night some parents of little kids had turned on Sponge Bob Square Pants. Aaarrrggghhh!
If they had big-titted bottle blonds, I wouldn't be whining so much. The best TV in LA is on Cox channel 62. It's enough to send me to Spanish class.
Even so, the place is good enough that we keep going back.
Calamari, that's more or less the same point that I've been making about Ports O'Call and the fish markets. If the shoppers and diners mobbing that area on weekends were Anglo, Slav, or Italian, certain people around here would be holding it up as a shining example of community and successful small business in San Pedro, instead of insisting it all be torn down to make way for the coming Disney-cruise-megamall.
But you're right about them all being the same guy underneath the very thin veneer of assimilation on some of them. Alas, if human nature and experience are anything to go by, in another generation all the fat dudes from the Mexican restaurants will be the arrogant, self-satisfied fools looking down their pudgy noses at the scruffy immigrants from, I dunno, Iraq or wherever.
Giant - I think that the fish market situation is an absolute parallel to the the racial divisions in greater San Pedro.
isn't that the east side of pacific?
Giant - Your comments on Ports O'Call and the fishmarket are absoluely dead right.
I really appreciate such comments on this blog. They help me to retain hope that I haven't completely lost my sanity.
Snoopy - You are correct on the East/West issue. I'll fix that now.
Both Pronto's are owned by the same family. We went to the one at 25th and Western last night and I asked.
I told them to check out Life On The Edge. I hope thay see all of these comments as positively as I do!
Take heart, they have enough staff at the 25th and Western branch that the service is almost instant. They'll get there on Pacific pretty quick I bet.
I just turned down the TV and nobody complained. And yeah, there is also some good loud Ranchera or whatever music playing along with the TVs, but they actually seem to cancel each other out a bit.
Also, if you like beans, try the black beans. Outstanding.
The other night some parents of little kids had turned on Sponge Bob Square Pants. Aaarrrggghhh!
Homophobe!
no one should turn on sponge bob - he's never turned on anyone. he's been a loyal friend through and through.
Post a Comment
<< Home