Stung, stunned and stuffed
Not wanting to ignore "The Best Sandwich in Town," we recently made a lunch stop at the Busy Bee on Walker and 24th. The plan was to take the best sandwiches in town and eat them outside somewhere, preferably with a nice harbor view. But as we watched them make the sandwiches it became apparent that that wasn't going to be possible.
First of all, they are huge. The sandwiches must have weighed in at about two pounds each. But more importantly, they were doused in about a cup of "red sauce" each, and trying to eat them in the car or out on a bench somewhere would have been foolish indeed.
So we took them home, and they were certainly decent sandwiches. I don't know about the best in town. That's quite a bold statement. About halfway through my cheese and red sauce sandwich the table looked like a crime scene. And I probably looked like a starved cannibal shoving fistfuls of gooey, delicious human flesh down my gullet.
We could only eat half of the sandwiches due to their tremendous size. The red sauce soaked the bread to the consistency of wet paper towels, which made them kind of impossible to save as leftovers, so we had to jettison a pound or two of perfectly good eats just to retain our mobility and sanity. And those were the regular sandwiches. I pity the fool who opts for Busy Bee's "Belly Buster." The mind boggles.
So yeah, there's my review. Busy Bee sandwiches require a bib and a half dozen moist towlettes for cleanup. But it did get us thinking that we should put up our own "Best in Town" sign on the side of the house. Like, "Best Family in Town!" or "Best dogs in Town!" No one could argue. If they questioned us we'd just say, "Yeah, Random Lengths gave us the award. What can we say?"
First of all, they are huge. The sandwiches must have weighed in at about two pounds each. But more importantly, they were doused in about a cup of "red sauce" each, and trying to eat them in the car or out on a bench somewhere would have been foolish indeed.
So we took them home, and they were certainly decent sandwiches. I don't know about the best in town. That's quite a bold statement. About halfway through my cheese and red sauce sandwich the table looked like a crime scene. And I probably looked like a starved cannibal shoving fistfuls of gooey, delicious human flesh down my gullet.
We could only eat half of the sandwiches due to their tremendous size. The red sauce soaked the bread to the consistency of wet paper towels, which made them kind of impossible to save as leftovers, so we had to jettison a pound or two of perfectly good eats just to retain our mobility and sanity. And those were the regular sandwiches. I pity the fool who opts for Busy Bee's "Belly Buster." The mind boggles.
So yeah, there's my review. Busy Bee sandwiches require a bib and a half dozen moist towlettes for cleanup. But it did get us thinking that we should put up our own "Best in Town" sign on the side of the house. Like, "Best Family in Town!" or "Best dogs in Town!" No one could argue. If they questioned us we'd just say, "Yeah, Random Lengths gave us the award. What can we say?"
9 Comments:
I've been devoted to Busy Bee for years, I've had one delivered to me as far away as San Francisco (Italian sausage), and I know countless out-of-towners who cannot visit Pedro without getting one. Like Original Tommy's on Rampart, Busy Bee is a point or return for many an expatriate Los Angeleno.
Personally, I can't get serious art installation work done without a lunchtime visit from Mr. Chicken Sandwich, no cheese (damn you lactose intolerance!), avocado, and extra sauce. I've frightened many an intern or visitor to my desk with my sauce covered visage, my hungry expression harkening back to the days of raw mammoth meat in the cave. I'm addicted and hooked. In line at Busy Bee, I'll position myself to make sure my sandwich is made by the most veteran employee available, one who knows just what I mean by extra sauce, and will make sure to double wrap my monstrosity for transport. I've even got the sons of the owner, the gatekeepers of the register. trained to seperate my purchases into two bags, so that the hot sandwich's fire might not be dulled by the presence of a soda. And Where else in town can you get three chocodiles for 99 cents? If I get sent to Busy Bee, picking up an order for my friends, you can bet on complimentary after sandwich chocodiles.
Their bold declaration of "Best Sandwiches in Town" has been, and I suspect, will continue to be, largely unchallenged. In a town with out great cuisine, San Pedro has always stood out as the home to several brutally delicious sanwicheries. Having the best sandwich in this town is like saying "my Porche is faster than your Cadillac." No argument there, but somedays you want the euro styling and percision of the Porche, and some days you want the tank-like, luxury arrogance of the Cadillac. Hell, some days, whatyou really need is the efficiency of a Hybrid.
How can one business be the best in a town when you have to choose between the Italian Meatball of A1, and the Eggplant Parmiggiana of Bouno's Pizza. Even new businesses in town are doing it right. Although Big Nick's ass ILWU ass kissing gets old, they opened featuring a solid belt of sandwiches on their menu. Who can forget, and not lament, the temporary closure (re-open please, at least once a week I forget and try to call) of San Pedro's best delivery sandwich, courtesy of the Sandwich Saloon. Some swear by Buiscemi's, Sunshine, Family Deli, the list goes on... With Pronto's serving tortas, maybe now is the time for San Pedro's newest wave of immigrants to join the sandwich pantheon, or maybe they already joined it with the deliciously addictive shark and halibut sandwiches at Baja Fish? I'm sure I've left someone out, some great family sandwicherie, but I'm too hungry to type any more.
calamari, you write so well, but you are such a dork (takes one to know one) and that's why we love you so.
Are you calling me a sandwich nerd?
that is very funny, maybe i am! the word "sandwich nerd" is so funny, i will be calling a lot of people that now, and they will be all, "whaa??"
South Shores Meat Market.
Excellent sandwiches and REALLY reasonable prices. Also the best meats in town.
We just ordered our turkey from them. Not cheap, but try it once and you's never go back to the supers.
I've been considering buying meat at South Shores. I buy most of my meat, if possible at Albertsons and the Numero Uno market on 5th & Pacfic right now, but I need a better butcher. Sometimes you need a big ass roast and you need a real butcher to cut it. I used to love the butcher over at Weymouth Corners, but they've been gone for so long. I haven't had South Shore's sandwiches before, or not in a long time.
We order our turkey from Slavko's. I love giving them my business, and we always get a good bird from them.
Sandwich Nerds!
Guilty as charged!
To bad the place is closed for a week due to the health department
The neighborhood enjoys the peace
Post a Comment
<< Home