Friday, November 18, 2005

While You're in the Park...

In other Angels Gate Park activities this weekend. I wanted to mention the Belmont Shore Model Railroad Club's & the Angels Gate Hi-Railers' Open House. They have only two of these a year, and if you haven't seen their layout, well, you're just not down with the conductor's hat set. Their layouts occupy the whole of two floors of a barracks building here at the Gate, and is a totally amazing piece of nerd engineering and art.

Where? In Angels Gate Park, their building is just past the Cultural Center's galleries
When? 10 -4 PM Saturday & Sunday, November 19 & 20.
Where? Angels Gate Park, 3601 South Gaffey Street.
How Much? $1 per person or $2 per family - practically free
Call? 310.831.6262

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you guys?

Is it something I said?

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. You should never have said "Everybody stop posting for at least twelve days." What were you thinking?

So, have you seen the recent issue of San Pedro magazine? I don't blame you if you haven't--it's a mostly unreadable rag--but you might be interested to see the commentary by former Harbor Commissioner Wentworth in which he refers to port activists as "The 12 Fleas." I think it provides a useful insight into the mentality of the Harbor Department; I've always suspected that they thought of people who dare to disagree with them as literally subhuman, but I never thought that one of them would publicly confirm it in such a blatant manner.

Thus does San Pedro magazine provide a useful service almost in spite of itself.

4:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. Nice to hear (see?) your voice.

Yeah, I saw it. Poor Mr. Wentworth, he seemed to have some possibilities when he was on the Harbor Commission. Now it seem that he has become just another shill for the Port.

It's nothing new. We get to enjoy the Port's Nixonian "The silent majority supports us" tactics every time we try to challenge them on any issue.

The "Bridge to Breakwater", now known as the "Los Angeles Waterfront" is a perfect example. Their PR consultants and staff recruit people to speak the party line at public hearings, and spread junk like Mr. Wentworth's sad effort every chance they get.

So it is with the air quality issues. I guess some of us just need to be sacrificed to the great God of the "Engine Of The Economy", and we should just stop whining and die like men (women, children) for the greater glory of global trade. I, for one, will be whining to the end, for all the good it seems to do.

Did you see the articles in the papers (Times, Breeze, Press-Telegram) Saturday about the California Air Resources Board's latest diesel study? The Times was probably the best. Top right hand corner of page B-3. 750 premature deaths and 6.3 BILLION in externalized health care costs this year. It's the engine of the economy for the health care and funeral industries, I guess. Except for the County hospitals which are broke, and the people with no access to health care. I guess they just crawl out on the ice and die like Eskimo elders.

The Breeze stories yesterday were good also, although you need a pretty good sense of irony to stomach the argument that, since so many jobs have been "outsourced", we need to expand the outsourcing system to create more jobs.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I take it you also noticed in Wentworth's article that he, too, propounds that moronic talking point about parks and open spaces being dangerous vortexes of wickedness and sin. This, in my opinion, is precisely where the pro-development crowd crosses over from mere run-of-the-mill avarice and philistinism to outright lunacy.

I also think it's a potential weak spot for them. They're saying things in public, on the record, that could make them look extremely foolish if only more of a fuss were made about it (e.g., if our local media had the intelligence and/or the cojones to challenge them on it).

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks.

Well I did send a little letter to the editor of the "San Pedro" thing, so let's see if they print it and, if so, what kind of a backlash it draws. Sometimes the backlash is even better that the original insult, as far as smoking them out.

Do you ever check out the Mayor Sam's Sister City blog? I found this one from a link there. I post a comment there once in awhile, and I draw some really nasty responses. I just grit my teeth and try to keep the ball in the air, because I hope that the nastier they get, the more people see what is going on.

I also sent a note to the Editor of the P-T pointing out that they needed to keep an eye on this situation. You are by no means the only one who has commented on this this stuff. I told him that it was reflecting no credit on the P-T, which has actually been very good on issues around the two ports.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home