Marineland remembered
There's a great article in today's breeze about the history of Marineland. I was a card carrying member of the Sea Lion Society there as a kid, and I remember being totally bummed out when it was closed in 1987. I never got to go up in the Sky Tower because my dad was deathly afraid of heights, I can only imagine how awesome the view from that thing was, especially back in 1966 when it was first erected and the area was much less developed.
The article mentions that fromer Marineland photo shop manager Jim Patryla has self-published a book of his photos of the park. The Santa Clarita Valley Signal has an article on the book, and it's available for sale here, for the local history, marine animal and photo buffs in the house.
The article mentions that fromer Marineland photo shop manager Jim Patryla has self-published a book of his photos of the park. The Santa Clarita Valley Signal has an article on the book, and it's available for sale here, for the local history, marine animal and photo buffs in the house.
6 Comments:
I still have a Sea Lion Society card around somewhere too...last time we were down at the Marineland site it was pretty depressing. But then it was pretty depressing to go there in the year or two before it closed too.
It was not exactly a modern facility as far as taking the animal's lives into consideration. I remember one sea lion with a worn patch on its head where it would scrape against the side of its small pool in the same place every time it made a circle. And it just made circles all day long. Sad.
It was a great site though. Too bad it's all McMansions now.
I remember it not being as modern as Sea World, and I was really young when I was last there, so I probably didn't notice too much. I like sort of run down places that are on slow timers, so it probably appealed to me.
I'll take anything over McMansions. At least golf courses are flat.
My grandmother's company was involved in the construction of Marineland. My dad told me he went there when they were building it.
... I was a devoted Marineland volunteer even after the park was closed , too bad the 'Orcas' were not acknowledged or given any credit for their work, without us the would ne no Marine Mammal Care center in San Pedro today!
sorry for the typos!
I was just in San Pedro today, taking b&w films of what's left of marineland, awesome link to the book!
Post a Comment
<< Home