Big Crash on Pacific
At about 5 this afternoon, everyone in the house had their curiosity aroused by the hovering of two LAPD choppers overhead. I went out into the neighborhood to find out what had happened, and discovered that many of the streets were blocked, but the LAPD seemed really low key. I eventually made my way down to Pacific Avenue where I saw the remains of a massive accident, with at least one fatality.
I don't have 100% of the details yet, but I'm sure they'll be in the Breeze tomorrow, as I saw one of their shutterbugs on the scene. Here's what I gathered from the crowds of neighbors.
There was a high speed chase down Pacific, and the chasee managed to plow into at least one car directly, although multiple cars were involved in the accident. At least 3 LAFD paramedic vans left the scene with injured persons, a fourth left the scene as I was arriving, with no passengers. There was at least one fatality, the fellow in the body bag in the photograph, and I got conflicting reports as to whether the guy in the bag was the person being chased by the LAPD or if they were one of the victims of the accident. The other cars involved in the accident were all pulled off Pacific onto O'Farrell Street when I arrived.
Pacific is totally blocked from Sepulveda to Oliver right now, as well, so you if you're reading this tonight, you might want to steer clear of that area. As I was leaving the unmarkeds LAPD were arriving, and if there was a high speed chase involved, I'm sure they will keep the area blocked for a while as they catalog the scene.
UPDATE!
Today's Breeze does have the details. It was a chase, down O'Farrell, and the person who died at the scene was the driver of a stolen car in the act of evading police, his accomplice is in critical condition. Although one of the bystanders requires hospitalisation, looks like the thieves managed to confine most of the human damage to themselves.
Further Update!
More details from the Breeze. Looks like the other passenger in the stolen car is near death. Both of the passengers were known gang members and the people they injured in the crash will recover.
I don't have 100% of the details yet, but I'm sure they'll be in the Breeze tomorrow, as I saw one of their shutterbugs on the scene. Here's what I gathered from the crowds of neighbors.
There was a high speed chase down Pacific, and the chasee managed to plow into at least one car directly, although multiple cars were involved in the accident. At least 3 LAFD paramedic vans left the scene with injured persons, a fourth left the scene as I was arriving, with no passengers. There was at least one fatality, the fellow in the body bag in the photograph, and I got conflicting reports as to whether the guy in the bag was the person being chased by the LAPD or if they were one of the victims of the accident. The other cars involved in the accident were all pulled off Pacific onto O'Farrell Street when I arrived.
Pacific is totally blocked from Sepulveda to Oliver right now, as well, so you if you're reading this tonight, you might want to steer clear of that area. As I was leaving the unmarkeds LAPD were arriving, and if there was a high speed chase involved, I'm sure they will keep the area blocked for a while as they catalog the scene.
UPDATE!
Today's Breeze does have the details. It was a chase, down O'Farrell, and the person who died at the scene was the driver of a stolen car in the act of evading police, his accomplice is in critical condition. Although one of the bystanders requires hospitalisation, looks like the thieves managed to confine most of the human damage to themselves.
Further Update!
More details from the Breeze. Looks like the other passenger in the stolen car is near death. Both of the passengers were known gang members and the people they injured in the crash will recover.
3 Comments:
Jimmy Hernandez's comment placing blame on police due to their chase speed deflected blame from the dead driver. Instead of "Cops shouldn't chase cars at that speed", why not "My friends shouldn't commit grand theft auto."? No one was forcing the driver to run away and into that street light.
BTW: More word in a recent Breeze article. The passenger - 17 year old male - is not expected to survive. Both were suspected gang members.
http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/articles/2157822.html?page=2&c=y
Someone always complains when police are forced into doing some of the more aggressive parts of their job. I've known too many cops to imagine that they enjoy putting their own lives in danger, or seeing others put the lives of the public in danger. Of course the press always likes to focus on the whiners, so that's the quote we get in the paper.
Of course there was a candle shrine out there last night, which I thought knowing who was killed and the circumstances of their deaths/injuries, was an insult to other roadside vigils and shrines.
Of course there was a candle shrine out there last night, which I thought knowing who was killed and the circumstances of their deaths/injuries, was an insult to other roadside vigils and shrines.
You know, I thought the same thing as I passed the shrine every morning at 5:30 and all the candles were lit. But for some reason, today I was driving by I thought; indeed, those guys were criminals, and quite possibly worthless scumbags, but they were also sons, brothers and maybe fathers. So I can't really fault the candle lighters.
Problem is this is just more pain visited on the families who probably had to put up with all sorts of nonsense from these clowns. But still...
Post a Comment
<< Home