Development related meeting tomorrow night
If you love or hate the Vue, or the Ocean View Lofts (the five story 144 condo complex at 111 & 203-233 Harbor Blvd), tomorrow the Planning Committee of the Central San Pedro Neighborhood Council will be meeting with representatives of the developers. The committee position will then be forwarded on to the genreal council. This is a great opportunity to make your voice heard regarding any aspect of these projects, and I know there are a lot of opinions out there that should be heard, so I hope that some of us can make it.
Note: From what I can tell, the proposed Ocean View Lofts are the first proposed development that would actually displace what is now two city blocks of low income public housing in favour of condos. In my opinion, this represents a serious turn in events in San Pedro's development cycle. Until I got the E-mail(s) regarding this meeting I was unaware of this project, and have no information regarding the status of either the low income housing or the current residents of that housing. If anyone knows more about this proposed project, please comment about it.
What? - Central San Pedro Neighborhood Council Planning Committee meeting on proposed development
Where? - The Bartlett Center. 103 W. 11th Street (corner of Beacon & 11th)
When? - Wednesday, February 22nd (tomorrow) @ 6:30 PM
Meeting Agenda Here
Note: From what I can tell, the proposed Ocean View Lofts are the first proposed development that would actually displace what is now two city blocks of low income public housing in favour of condos. In my opinion, this represents a serious turn in events in San Pedro's development cycle. Until I got the E-mail(s) regarding this meeting I was unaware of this project, and have no information regarding the status of either the low income housing or the current residents of that housing. If anyone knows more about this proposed project, please comment about it.
What? - Central San Pedro Neighborhood Council Planning Committee meeting on proposed development
Where? - The Bartlett Center. 103 W. 11th Street (corner of Beacon & 11th)
When? - Wednesday, February 22nd (tomorrow) @ 6:30 PM
Meeting Agenda Here
6 Comments:
I don't know anything about it either, yet. This may all turn out to be a misunderstanding. But if it isn't, and the developers really do propose to do away with low-income housing in favor of "loft" (*eyeroll*) condos, can you honestly say that you are surprised?
I wouldn't be suprised. I've tried to do a little research on the proposed project, but I haven't dug anything up. No one I've talked to so far knows anything about it & right now the only information I have is Lofts/Condos+The Addresses+Five Story Building(s).
One of the defining features of our "working waterfront" is that a mix of low and middle income people live right up to the water.
This project does not replace any housing. It demos the little shopping center on Harbor Blvd immediately north of Santa Cruz (the grey and white clapboard building), and also builds on vacant space south of Santa Cruz. Rancho housing sits immediately west of the south portion of the site. The newish 3-story mustard and orange stucco apartment building at the corner of Beacon and Santa Cruz sits opposite the north part of the site.
Design style, and whether to include some retail have been the main questions.
Oh, waitaminute waitaminute. I think I remember this one being brought up at a Pacific Corridor CAC meeting that I stumbled into about a year ago. There was (is) a public street within the boundary of the project, and James Allen pointedly asked whether that public road was going to be simply given to the developer to do with as he pleased, without compensating the City.
If it's the same project, and meeting, that I'm thinking of, that is.
sorry to leave you in suspense (oh, right) - i been busy (surely you've forgotten the Q by now, and prob. won't read back to this). The public road will not be eaten up by the project, just continue to pass thru it. Q remaining, should this short block be converted to diagonal parking? I voted no, as discontinuity in streetscape without darn good reason breaks up neighborhood feel. Other meeting participants not interested in this level of detail, and it will prob. happen anyway.
You have a vote? How did you get that? How do I get one? I don't have buckets of money to throw around, nor do I own a bunch of real estate. Does that disqualify me?
Please explain how changing the angle of auto parking on a street breaks up neighborhood feel (as distinct from the effect on neighborhood feel of, for example, cutting down/planting a tree or closing/opening a restaurant or dropping a giant fucking brand new condominium on both sides of the street). I'm a bit unclear on the concept. Would the street feel of Weymouth Corners be changed to a significant degree if the parking there were changed back to parallel?
Post a Comment
<< Home