An "epidemic" of sinkings
That's what Assistant U.S. Attorney William Carter said about the current "fad" of scuttling in L.A. harbor. According to today's Breeze, there were 36 scuttlings in the harbor alone during the last 18 months, and that doesn't even count land scuttlings, like the one we've got up at Angels Gate right now.
Anyways, if you guys remember the big scuttling incident a few months back, where a 37 foot boat was sank in the harbor, amateur artificial reef builder David Bachtel is now facing a maximum sentence of 26 years. According to the article, he's also facing unrelated state methamphetamine distribution charges. No suprise there, damn near every shady seaman I've ever known has had a taste for crystal meth, it seems to go with the territory.
Anyways, if you guys remember the big scuttling incident a few months back, where a 37 foot boat was sank in the harbor, amateur artificial reef builder David Bachtel is now facing a maximum sentence of 26 years. According to the article, he's also facing unrelated state methamphetamine distribution charges. No suprise there, damn near every shady seaman I've ever known has had a taste for crystal meth, it seems to go with the territory.
13 Comments:
I can think of a few boats I'd like to sink. Anyone notice how many disgusting boats there are in the slips near El Torito, Ports O' Call. Boats that are obviously not seaworthy just covered in birdshit. They need to go.
They need to go in order to make room for what? Something shiny, new and bland?
Sounds like a San Pedro city planner...
MJP wrote:
They need to go in order to make room for what?
Floating casinos! You know, like the ones that totally eliminated poverty on the Gulf Coast and the Mississippi River! That's what we need! Come on, you know it's true. And think how well they'll go with that absolutely vital $5,000,000 electronic fountain planned for Harbor and Swinford!
(SPECIAL MESSAGE FOR MEMBERS OF THE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE AND/OR READERS OF SAN PEDRO MAGAZINE: The above is sarcasm. Please do not cite it as an example of the views of any "silent majority." Thank you.)
I'm not saying all the boats need to go. 95% of the boats are fine. There are a few boats that just look like shit. Doesn't the marina have some type of appearance standards in their leases?
Don't you have any pride in your community? Do you tolerate piles of trash on your street?
Doesn't the marina have some type of appearance standards in their leases? ... Don't you have any pride in your community?
I was half expecting to see "race" where you typed "community." But that's just me.
Where do you want the immigrants - er, sorry, I mean, the ugly boats - to go? Just anywhere that you can't see them?
Well, all kidding aside, I totally agree. In fact, I would like to expand this idea to the streets of San Pedro, and get rid of all the ugly cars too. If all I could see were shiny Escalades and the like, I would be one happy camper.
Speaking of campers, can we get rid of them too? And the RVs parked all over Point Fermin? Sweet bleeding jeeesus on the cross, why do we have to live like this?!
Nice, bringing race into this. Where do I imply anything about race.
Just go down to El Torito, have some lunch, look out the window and tell me that a couple of boats don't look like shit. If you have friends or relatives come into town do you want to have to look at that crap?
You mean Acapulco, don't you?
I'm not MJP, but I couldn't care less whether my out-of-town friends and relatives see grungy boats on the waterfront. But then, I'm not trying to pretend I live in Newport Beach. Don't make the mistake of assuming that everybody shares your sensibilities.
Right, I meant Acapulco. Wasn't it an El Torito at one point?
It's best days were as El Paso Cantina.
Anonymous wrote:
Wasn't it an El Torito at one point?
No.
It's best days were as El Paso Cantina.
Yes.
There's something about marinas that attracts a certain percentage of eyesore boats. It's a problem in almost every marina, there's always some guy living illegally with no discretion, making everyone look bad. I think there's a liability fear on the part of marina operators when it comes to evicting folks, you can get away with anything in most marinas.
If you're going to own a recreational vehicle stored in a semi-public place, you should make some effort not to be a total slob. I imagine we'd all be pretty pissed if our neighbors all started farming engine blocks on their lawns.
Nice site!
[url=http://kdorykhk.com/kdbv/fvmt.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://wmvqmlxr.com/qcqv/kkgm.html]Cool site[/url]
Nice site!
My homepage | Please visit
Great work!
http://kdorykhk.com/kdbv/fvmt.html | http://mwehqdti.com/keow/jxpr.html
Post a Comment
<< Home