Friday, February 03, 2006

Neo-Nazi vandalism at Angels Gate


We get a decent amount of low-rent graffiti up here at the Gate, but I've never seen this kind of crap outside San Pedro Stoner graffiti in storm drains and other pieces of San Pedro's hidden infrastructure. Seeing it out in the open like this is really depressing.

According to Wikipedia and the Anti-Defamation Leauge, the SWP stands for "Supreme White Power". I'm reporting this to one of the LAPD Harbor Division's Senior Lead Officers today, and I hope that they can do something about it. Has anyone out there seen anything else like this in town lately?

UPDATE: On Friday, a Recreation and Parks guy came by and promptly buffed out the graffiti. Kudos to them for the fast reaction. He did a good job, too, painting the entire concrete block grey, rather than just patching it out.

7 Comments:

Blogger mjp said...

Ah, to be young and Aryan in San Pedro!

Remind me again why we no longer use the rack or the iron maiden on miscreants like these? I would like to be the first to propose the return of medieval torture devices for special cases. Mostly politicians and mattress salesmen, but we can throw ignorant backwoods chuckleheads like the kids who did this in there with them.

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a kid in the early eighties I spraypainted "SIRHAN MUST DIE" in four-foot-high letters all the way across a neighbor's white picket fence facing the alley--not because I had any strong feelings about the RFK assassination, or Palestine, or the death penalty, but just because it seemed like an appropriately shocking and political thing to spraypaint on a wall. Few things are more important to boys (and it's always boys) entering puberty than the ability to horrify adults, whether with antisocial rage, pure stupidity, or some combination of the two.

Now that I think about it, that graffiti stayed up for quite a while. Good times.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Phillip said...

This type of graffiti shows up in Pedro periodically but not for a while now. I've seenit in alleys, schools, and I believe I saw it in Battery Osgood-Farley once (before the museum moved in). Luckily, it always seems to be pretty isolated, and not part of a general pattern. (Stupid bored kids become more bored and move on to something else.)

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy you girls are selective about what you choose to get your panties in a bunch about.

Guess neo-nazis aren't as bad as yuppies to you, huh?

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, in all fairness to the yuppies, I suppose I should point out that their taste in music is marginally better than that of the neo-Nazis. Have you ever heard any late (post-1982) Skrewdriver? What a bunch of tuneless crap. I would actually rather listen to Coldplay.

So there you go, yuppies. Don't ever say I didn't stick up for you.

2:30 AM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

Actually I don't think that some pansy ass, minor, neo-Nazi graffiti is much of a threat to anyone in town. It's pathetic more than anything else. I'm Jewish and this crap threatens me about as much as My Little Pony.

And as I've said before, San Pedro is already chock full of yuppies, and I have no problem with them being here. I work in the art world - yuppies are good for business.

3:04 PM  
Blogger mjp said...

I think some readers may interpret an "anti-housing-for-the-wealthy-only" sentiment as anti-yuppie. I don't even know what the hell would classify someone as a yuppie these days. It's a vague and ridiculous term left over from a decade long passed. Like "parachute pants," or "President Bush."

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I'm not poor. You don't have to be poor to see pricing the average person out of the market as a dead end for a city, town or hamlet. And I don't mean the housing market - the way things are going, someone making an average wage is being priced out of the rental market, and if that isn't a signal to you that something is very, very wrong, you have your head --- in the sand.

So from one yuppie to another, relax. You're taking it all too personally. These are ideas and opinions, not clubs and fists. Hurrah! Ta da!

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home