Thursday, February 23, 2006

Our first tower crane


Last week, an even bigger crane came and assembled this tower crane on top of the Center Street Lofts project. Suppoedly the taller structure that sits on the base that has been constructed will go up pretty fast at this point.

12 Comments:

Blogger mjp said...

It may go up quickly, but the site for the lofts says, "Opening April 2006." That seem reasonable to anyone?

9:05 AM  
Blogger mjp said...

There are some nice construction shots on that site, by the way, under "photos." You know, if seeing concrete floors being poured floats your boat.

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, everyone. All the recent talk of design and housing affordability made me think to share this blog of a friend of a friend of a friend of mine. The $35,000 house of cardboard, notwithstanding, there are some innovative, conservation-minded designs on the site that you might find cool.

Actually, the real reason I'm commenting is that I'd like to get in touch with IMBG. Mr. Giant, if you're reading this, would you please contact me? You're freakin' hilarious. I want to bounce an idea off of you.

Sorry to bust in on the topic like this, but I had no other way to get a hold of him.

Have a great night, everybody, and thanks for lots of fun reading.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shit, I fat-fingered the HTML on the "contact me" link above. Since that prolly didn't work for you, could you try to contact me again? Thanks.

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Me again, feeling like a complete stalker.

I guess blogger.com disallows "mailto:" tags. The link worked in Preview mode, but not after I published it last nite. Anyway, my e-mail address (if you didn't already figure it out from the error message) is myles_of_smiles@hotmail.com. Once again, I'd appreciate it if you got a hold of me, IMBG. Thanks!

Calamari, excellent piece in SP Mag. I agree with your acknowledgment of a silent majority. They're doubtlessly out there and could potentially turn the tide one way or another with their participation. What pisses me off is when any one group presumes the taciturn masses would agree with its position. I hope attendance grows as a result of what you wrote. Nice work. :)

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, de la Rosa, but, um...how long have you been reading this blog? Long enough to see all the thoroughly vicious and mean things I've said about that magazine you write for?

Cali's piece in the aforementioned rag was surprisingly difficult for me to take issue with...except for two things, in ascending order of importance:

1) "Silent majority." I was reading your piece last night with a friend, and she thought you meant that the majority opposed Bridge to Breakwater and all the new condos. I know that's not what you meant, but that phrase is just, well, kind of loaded. That's Nixon's fault, not yours, but it might be better not to rely on that phrase to refer to the snoozing masses of Pedro, especially when you consider the cynical (indeed, Nixonian) way that it's being employed by certain folks to suggest that said snoozers are quietly dreaming of hotels, timeshares, and cruise ship terminals...

2) "Some of those dishes, like the aforementioned Sav-On, have already been served, some of them are still on the drawing board and some of them are steaming on ahead." OK, you're making me dizzy. Are they dishes, drawings, or steamships? Pick a metaphor and stick with it, man. You're killing me, over here. Are you trying to kill me? It's working!

4:25 AM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

IMBG -

"silent majority" - I wanted to make a reference to the "silent majoritizing" of the debate regarding development, especially Bridge to Breakwater. I think on this issue, as on most public issues, the majority of the population of affected/involved is rarely ever truly engaged or informed. It's a term I hate, and I wish that it hadn't been brought into the debate about development, but I felt that I had to address it, as it is such a worthless argument on the part of those who have used it to advance their opinions, that it needed to be countered in some way.

The main thing about silent majorities is that they can be invoked in any debate where the majority is "not present" and as an argument in technical terms resorting to the use of a "silent majority" to advance your position would constitute a major logical fallacy, at best a false statement (hopefully out of ignorance, rather than as an intentional lie) and at worst one of demagogy. I could write a whole article on how the use of the term, in a technical sense, actually undermines the credibility of those using it, but no one wants to read that, and I think our innate ability to sniff out bullshit serves much better than my egghead deconstruction of it would.

Part of me wanted to and still wants to talk a lot more about race in San Pedro, but I feel that that's a whole subject unto itself. Central San Pedro is a 60% Latino district, and it's where I live. I go to meetings where 10% (at best) of the board/committee/audience members at best are Latino, and that is evidence enough that a community that is extremely vulnerable is massively underrepresented in most local public processes. Where I live the majority is noticable largely for it's silence.

Some of those dishes, like the aforementioned Sav-On, have already been served, some of them are still on the drawing board and some of them are steaming on ahead. I was never really happy with that sentence either. Sorry 'bout my metaphor abuse.

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IMBG -

Thanks, de la Rosa, but, um...how long have you been reading this blog? Long enough to see all the thoroughly vicious and mean things I've said about that magazine you write for?

I am not the magazine. I have no problem with you speaking your opinion in whatever way you think gets your point across best. It's definitely entertaining, if nothing else.

Independent of whatever you've said or how you feel about the magazine, I'm trying to get a hold of you because you are without a doubt a talented writer. I'll give you more details on what that has to do with anything if I hear from you, but I'd better get off this thread. Be well, all.

- de la Rosa

1:36 PM  
Blogger mjp said...

Don't you see?! This is how the man defeats the enemy, by co-opting them! Resist! Fight the power!

The power. Um hm.

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The man co-opts the enemy with tall cranes? What?

3:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://fjkjpqan.com/rgvs/vfyb.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://oxbhuble.com/oiep/uffj.html]Cool site[/url]

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://fjkjpqan.com/rgvs/vfyb.html | http://ovqjipkp.com/lwok/ncxs.html

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home