Repent with us!
Tomorrow night is the opening reception for John Michael Gill's newest solo show at Walled City. He's spent the past year refining his techniques and focusing on the religious symbolism and the dualities of good and evil. He's done a huge amount of site specific painting for this show, which will serve as a backdrop to his work. As usual we'll have a couple kegs of homebrew on tap and an assortment of treats to keep your jaws and livers busy while you hob nob & enjoy John's new work. Or you can just come by and laugh at my crippled foot!
Where - Walled City, 309 West 7th
When - Feb 18th a.k.a. Saturday night, 7-10 PM
Where - Walled City, 309 West 7th
When - Feb 18th a.k.a. Saturday night, 7-10 PM
4 Comments:
This is completely off-topic, but damn it, it's kind of an emergency.
Rebecca Schoenkopf, in this week's issue of the OC Weekly, referred to our lovely Warner Grand Theater, the jewel of Sixth Street, as--and I quote--a "funky old place in San Pedro"!
THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!! I mean, OK, I'll give her "old." Sure. And, technically speaking, it is a place. And it is, as she says, in San Pedro. Otherwise I wouldn't be talking about it here. And, yes, I suppose it is a bit funky. But GOOD funky, not LAME funky! GOOD funky!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, that just does it. I've really had enough of this. It's time to go to war. Not against the OC Weekly...against Orange County itself. I mean, fuck them anyway, with their "OC Choppers" and "OC Tattoos" and "OC Whatever Was Going On In Long Beach Two Years Ago." It's time that Orange County was returned to its rightful place in the Southern California pecking order. They're supposed to be the losers, the yokels, the kooks, the terminally unhip--the people that even San Pedrans can laugh at. And they have (OK, one of them has) the temerity to dismiss our lovingly restored Art Deco movie palace as a "funky old place in San Pedro"? Can you honestly say that I don't have a legitimate case for war here?
Come on, people. It's time to defend our honor. War on Orange County. Now.
God bless San Pedro. Let's roll!
FYI, Orange County Choppers is located in Orange County, New York. But I agree, they suck.
Listen, friend. At the time I planned this invasion, the best intel I had available to me placed Orange County Choppers in Orange County, California. I can hardly be blamed for acting on the best intelligence then available to me.
It's very easy for people like you to sit around in your coffeehouses and your drum circles, second-guessing the decisions of powerful men like me who are charged with defending the citizens of San Pedro against cultural terror. But ask yourself this: if OC Choppers had turned out to be in California, and it had been used as a base of operations for another verbal assault on one of our landmarks--say, mocking Busy Bee for not really being a market, or issuing juvenile insinuations about what goes on inside the Cabrillo Bathhouse--and I had listened to naysayers like you and sat on my hands, would we even be having this conversation right now?
Of course not. We'd be drunk at Godmothers, like all San Pedrans after 7:00 PM. So just watch what you say.
God bless San Pedro. Stay the course.
The big question is; is Orange County "hip" just because a handful of them think they are?
The jab at the WG can be chalked up to the fact that you are dealing with the selfsame "losers, yokels, kooks and the terminally unhip" who have never seen a building older than their car. They honestly don't know what to make of it. Anything older than Disney's California Adventure automatically seems "funky" to them (don't forget to scrunch up your nose when you say "funky").
Post a Comment
<< Home