Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Who's the best doctor in town?

Yup. Ole squiddy managed to mangle one of his tentacles on a wandering cuisinart blade (the serrated one that looks like the thing from Krull), and I ended up at the Little Company of Mary emergency room Friday night. After a long wait followed by some excellent tailoring by Michael Green (great stitching, great bedside manner) and some follow up by a really great nurse, I was told to see my GP on Monday (yesteday) for some light follow up. As I'm too manly to go to the doctor, I don't have a GP, and I got assigned one (who, knowing the litigiousness of physicians, will remain nameless) , and finally got in to see her this morning.

Anyways, although the docs in the emergency room were great, the one I got assigned to was not. She was late to work, so I ended up waiting over an hour before getting into an examination room for another wait. An examination room sparsely populated by instruments that looked more at home in an antique shop than in a doctor's office. Every padded surface was frayed and worn, the posters were outdated and haphazard. An oxygen tank and setup leaned casually against the wall. Everything screamed "Hippocrates doesn't live here anymore."

I got my dressing changed (during which numerous cross-contamination no-no's were committed), and then eagerly avoided making a follow-up appointment to get my stitches out, knowing that I've got a couple days to find a new sawbones, I've been polling the locals, trying to find the best doctor in San Pedro. So who is the Hawkeye Pierce of the San Pedro medical scene?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To take stitches out? You, with a sterilized pair of scissors or a razor blade and a drink to calm your nerves. Free, too.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Fair, you need to let everyone know who is the doctor with the antique instruments and cross=contamination "no-nos"!!!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

I've removed my own stitches in the past, and I'm considering doing it this time. Given how much I'm on my feet, I'm suprised that they haven't busted already. Regardless, I probably need to get myself a regular doctor anyways.

They only reason I'm not naming names on the doctor is because I feel that I don't know her well enough to "out" her as a bad doctor. Maybe she's just starting out and today was a bad day or something. That being said, I'm going to let the emergency room folks know how bad a referral she was.

4:36 PM  
Blogger carol es said...

Oh god! I am so sorry about your poor tootsie! Dr. Peter Sliskovitch should be able to help you out. He's on 6th Street on the west side of town near the hospital in the 1360 medical building. I believe you can go in there without an appointment a few days of the week and wait a while. Or call for an appt: 833-2461. Now tell us who's the clown doctor performing these no-nos.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

Thanks snoop. I've been getting all kinds of great referrals from my friends and co-workers as well. I'm not naming names in print. I really don't know the doctor who did my follow up well enough to drag her name through the mud here. I am contacting the emergency room about it. After the solid care that I recieved there, I was really suprised to see the quality of doctor that they were referring people to.

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home