Big Ass B2B related meeting tomorrow night
I know this is late notice, I just found out about this meeting today, and I got the details this afternoon. Tomorrow (Wednesday, the 8th) at 5PM there is going to be a meeting of the Coordinated Waterfront Plan Subcommittee in Conference Room 403 at the Port of Los Angeles headquarters.
At this meeting, Port officials will be giving a status update on current L.A. Waterfront plans, including the interim projects that have been delayed. Many factions and interests are mobilising to be at this meeting, and there will be press present. If you have an opinion or perspective on the delay, this meeting needs your attention - be there if you can to speak for yourself and your interests.
I still don't have any concrete details on the origin of the delay. My current understanding is that the City or Port has been threatened with a lawsuit by a third party, possibly the Sierra Club, although I'm not sure what the threatened lawsuit was about. Maybe this meeting will shed some light on the situation.
An aside. Based upon the ongoing chatter about this project, I've come to the conclusion that L.A. Waterfront has become a polarised battleground for ideologically opposed factions. It's important that new voices be heard, on either side of the debate. More importantly, there is a middle ground on this project that is not recieving enough attention. This project has the potential to provide for the real needs of the communities it serves, not for the self serving dreams of those on the extremes of the debate, and it's important that more rational and moderate voices be heard.
At this meeting, Port officials will be giving a status update on current L.A. Waterfront plans, including the interim projects that have been delayed. Many factions and interests are mobilising to be at this meeting, and there will be press present. If you have an opinion or perspective on the delay, this meeting needs your attention - be there if you can to speak for yourself and your interests.
I still don't have any concrete details on the origin of the delay. My current understanding is that the City or Port has been threatened with a lawsuit by a third party, possibly the Sierra Club, although I'm not sure what the threatened lawsuit was about. Maybe this meeting will shed some light on the situation.
An aside. Based upon the ongoing chatter about this project, I've come to the conclusion that L.A. Waterfront has become a polarised battleground for ideologically opposed factions. It's important that new voices be heard, on either side of the debate. More importantly, there is a middle ground on this project that is not recieving enough attention. This project has the potential to provide for the real needs of the communities it serves, not for the self serving dreams of those on the extremes of the debate, and it's important that more rational and moderate voices be heard.
7 Comments:
Yup, a certain faction is definitely mobilizing for this meeting, and hoping to "overwhelm" the pro-parks and wetlands folks. Interestingly, the email encouraging this mobilization was copied to several San Pedro Peninsula Chamber of Commerce members, including James Preston Allen, publisher of our local, fearless, beholden-to-nobody "alternative" biweekly newspaper, Random Lengths. Nope, no conflict of interest there. Did you guys see that fawning story in the second-to-last issue of RL about the Chamber Commerce, and what great friends of the little guy they are? No connection between that bit of editorializing and RL's membership in the SPPCoC at all, I'm sure.
(And anyway, it's not like it isn't true. Don't you feel sorry for those poor developers and cruise ship operators, always being picked on by marauding giants like Noel Park and Tom Politeo? Somebody has to come to their defense, right? What would Jesus do? Thank you, Chamber of Commerce, for defending the meek just like our savior!)
P.S. Once again, I don't think I'll be able to make this meeting. Will somebody out there who is normally too shy to go and speak at meetings please go and represent me? It's easy, just fill out a card and say your piece. Thanks!
xoxoxoxo
IMBG
I'll make sure I go and fill out the card for you and it'll say "IMBG says he'd like you to build a big multi-use mall/loft complex from 8th to 22nd Streets. He wants it to have an indoor running track. And he'd like you to commission Frank Gehry to design it, pretty please." ;)
"Indoor running track?" What are you, some kind of park-loving communist elf? "Ooh, look at meeee, I'm an environmentalist! I want future generations of children to be able to see the stars at night and have grass to play in! I don't care whether John Papadakis's property values triple, because I'm a big selfish treehugger!"
"Indoor running track." Sheesh. I say NASCAR or nothing! With an ice rink in the middle. And fountains. With lights and music! We're trying to become a world-class tourist joint, here!
You bring up a good point.
I've been thinking about this fountain issue, and I thought that the only rational and forward-looking answer was to place musical fountains on every street corner.
But then I had a sandwich, and thought for a while, and it occurred to me that the flow of people [consumers] may be hindered by such placement. So what I've come up with is this; new streetlights with musical fountains atop each one!
The music that the fountains dance to will be provided by San Pedro's own "oldies" bands who regale us with those great hits from the 50's, 60's and 70's that we simply cannot get enough of during the long, long, looooooonnnnnng summer months - and well into Fall and early Winter - from Point Fermin park.
Yes, I know a great deal of money was just spent on new "olde tyme" streetlights, but I'm thinking about future generations here. Not just the elite, monied snobs who make up San Pedro today. Do it for the children! Do it for JEESUS! Do it for the Papadaki. You owe it to them.
So let's get down to brass tacks and do what's important for our children. Because I believe the children are the future. Teach them well and let them show the way. Guide them with the world's most advanced robotically controlled Japanese musical dancing fountains!
Thank you.
Someone please present this manifesto for change and progress to whoever is in charge of things around here. I am far too busy [lazy] to do so myself.
I am upset about the delay. I heard Sierra Club but who knows. I am for good development, not for obstructionist...Also, I think that using the Sierra Club tactics, which are legal avenues to stop all development stops good project and creates a "Sky is falling mentality" that will someday catch up. Personally, I think the Sierra Club hurts the enviroment and is a money machine...a former member of the Sierra Club
The "Sky is falling mentality" is falling! The "Sky is falling mentality" is falling! Run for your lives!
Post a Comment
<< Home