Friday, March 03, 2006

DP World = Scab Labor?

While some folks are telling me "what the hell does this have to do with San Pedro?", I still think that having DP World take over any United States port operations is bad for labor at all ports, including ours, in the long run. I still think that port security at any U.S. port is effectively non-exisitant anyways, and will continue to be non-existant into the forseeable future, making the security concerns being focused on a stinky, red herring.

Our longtime commetor, IMBG, pointed out this story about an aborted attempt to set up a program in Dubai to train scab workers to work during an expected labor dispute at the Port of Melbourne by Australian stevedoring company Patrick.

The meat of the article that I think is relevant to the current situation is:

Why Dubai?

Slap bang in the Arabian Gulf, Dubai is a free trade zone and an industrial free-for-all. Foreign workers predominate and trade unions are outlawed. Deportation awaits those who dare to organise one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home