Saturday, April 08, 2006

Produce Shopping in Pedro


I don't know if you cook, but I sure do. I'm fed up with the glamour magazine produce that I see at Albertsons, Vons and the other big markets. You know the stuff - shiny, hard, blemishless and without any flavour or character. The tomatoes just add "red" to your sandwich and the avocados add $1.69, and since every they sell is at the same stage of ripening, you can only buy one or two at a time.

Well say goodbye to vegetable unhappiness. I've been shopping at the Super Mercado Bestway for most of my produce since I discovered that they've got better stuff at cheaper prices than the big boys.

Take this morning's produce run for example:

small avocados - 10 for a dollar
regular Hass avocados - 2 for a dollar
Roma tomatoes - cheap, but they taste like actual tomatoes!
Valencia oranges - 3 lbs for a dollar, and better

At those prices I can eat avocado sandwiches all day, laughing at those Trader Joe's shoppers and their fancy avocados. Sure you actually have to know how to pick vegetables, but that's not too much to ask, now is it? The avocados & tomatoes there are sold in a range of ripeness - you can buy a sack that will keep you good all week, or just get one that's ready for eating right now.

Any other local shopping tips?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't shop when you're hungry. Because then the next day you're looking in your kitchen cabinets and you're all like, "I needed a giant tub of peanut butter and two jars of dill pickles and ten boxes of falafel mix WHY, exactly?" That's also a good reason not to shop stoned.

This advice works inside or outside of Pedro, by the way. You're welcome!

5:54 AM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

Ha! I only shop hungry, that way I buy too much and have food on hand for when I'm too lazy to shop. Of course, as my roommates can attest to, I'm hungry all the time, anyways.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Citizen Mouse said...

I like the local produce markets too, but find that you better only buy what you need for the next day or two. The tomatoes go south real fast!
(Probably because they are not the standard product of industrial agriculture)

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home