Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Art on the Waterfront roundup over at the AGCC blog

If you missed the Art on the Waterfront Festival, I did a big, photo heavy post over at the AGCC blog today. We had a really successful event, but I am sad that I missed the competing community meeting. Anyone wanna update us on how that went?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto, I would like to know how that went as well. Was it really a forum? Did anybody from here show up? Did the giant punk out and go to the book festival? Did James Washington show the MTA guys how to do rail from Pedro to LA?

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Punk out"? Oh, that's harsh. Very harsh. Just for that, I shall not be providing you with a fascinating account of my experience at the "City Limits: Rethinking Our Sense Of Place" panel, featuring my future wife Rebecca Solnit. No, no; don't beg, it only hardens my resolve. My mind is made up.

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll take that as a "yes" then... :)

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing punkoutish about the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books, little missy. Show some damned respect. Gore Vidal was there, and Joan Didion! And T.C. Boyle! And the guy who wrote that book about early hip-hop that I still haven't read yet! Was T.C. Boyle at your little planning meeting? I think NOT.

Besides, if you have to ask what went on, you weren't there either.

3:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So. Anyway. I just read the story in Random Lengths about the meeting. Honestly, it doesn't look like we missed much.

The only thing of substance that the MTA said, apparently, was that they intend to take their "big buses" off of our "small streets." I guess their solution to inadequate public transportation in San Pedro is to make public transportation even less convenient by requiring riders to go to a central depot to catch the bus.

Meanwhile, the planning people evidently weren't too generous with the details of their, erm, plans, except that they intend to preserve "low density." I hope they were quoted out of context there, because otherwise it doesn't sound like they have much of a plan at all. Shit, I could do that. Look, everybody, I'm a planner! "Preserve the status quo." See, I'm planning! When's lunch?

I don't know, maybe the RL story just didn't do justice to the event.

Anyway, a quick memo to whoever put this thing on: taking prescreened questions on index cards at the end of your presentation does not make it a "forum." The poor old English language takes enough of a beating from advertisers, politicians, and real estate people, doesn't it? Let's not kick it while it's down.

3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home