Checkin' in with Janice

Councilwoman Hahn just gave her "State of the District" speech at a breakfast and the Breeze has got an article covering it. Two things in the speech suprised me. First was her apparent effort to distance herself from the Bisno proposal, I figured she was gangbusters for it. Was I mistaken on that one? Second was the sheer amount of attention paid in the article, and according to the article, the speech, to the non-news of Reggie the Gator. Maybe it's just me but I don't find minor animal control issues (and the city's apparent inablity to deal with them) in public parks to be headline news items. It's just a reptile, guys.
Also in the speech, Janice again called for the LAUSD to abandon it's plans of building a single 2,000 seat high school on Western in favour of four 500 seat academies. While I think that's a great idea (my experience working with K-12 schools has taught me that bigger schools don't necessarily benefit from an economy of scale), in the past, Janice's seat count has included the 500 seats at the POLA high school. We need 2,000 additional seats, not the 1,500 we'd get if the POLA high school is counted as one of those four academies.
Getting away from the breakfast, our Councilwoman has hopped into the 21st century by getting herself a blog. It went live on the 25th of May, hopefully it will do more than most political officials' blogs and be more than a press release regurgitator. Note that her blog does have a special button to press if you want to be on the Reggie the Alligator E-mail update list.
9 Comments:
Hahn's position has always been to oppose the density of the current Ponte Vista proposal. Her chief of staff has stated in the past that there's no way Bisno Development will get 2,300 units through City Hall.
As for Reggie, you are correct - who gives a damn about that thing?
Thanks for the clarification, I couldn't quite recall her "official position" on the 2,300 units. Everybody knows that the 2,300 units is a bargining tactic, I wonder what Bisno really expects to get away with in terms of actual units built? In his dog and pony show, he claims that anything less prevents him from making enough money to give baseball fields to the poor, poor children and a right-of-way to the Mary Star High School.
just in case anybody's interested in the article, i posted it here.
Just a reptile? JUST a reptile?
It would be nice to see Hahn stop spending so much time on that silly alligator. There are so many more pressing issues facing SP. For instance:
1. city-wide wireless internet (especially for downtown Pedro)
2. that citizens for a harbor line proposal
3. pollution
4. crime
anonymous wrote:
There are so many more pressing issues facing SP. For instance:
1. city-wide wireless internet (especially for downtown Pedro)
Now, there's an issue of staggering importance. I can see the ads now. "I can't afford to live in the neighborhood where I grew up...but my laptop gets great signal from here in the dumpster! Thanks, Janice Hahn!"
citywide wireless Internet is a great idea 8:50 anon
I'm in total agreement with IMBG. City-wide wireless, while a nice idea, falls really, really low on my list of priorities.
But yea, IMBG, goeth easy on the priorities of others, and they shall goeth easy on the priorities of ye. Or something along those lines.
Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»
Post a Comment
<< Home