Awesome housing in San Chinarro area of Madrid, Spain
I saw this Tetris-esque building over at Kotaku. I can't help but think about how much cooler the design of this housing complex is than any of the larger developments going down in San Pedro, especially the boring as paste glass & steel of the Vue.
My big complaint about the new developments is that they're not aggressive enough in their design. I still think radical new buildings go better in older neighborhoods than fakey old buildings or conservatively designed new buildings. This building, the "Mirador" project, was designed by the Dutch firm MVRDV (project page here) and finished in 2004.
The photo is from the Flickr stream of EPIDEMIA.
There are more views of the building there, a black and white distance shot and a detail shot. There's much more to see by looking around the images with the "San Chinarro" Flickr tag. My two favourite images by other folks are this shot of the "air block" in the middle of the building and this shot of the stairs in one of the red sections.
My big complaint about the new developments is that they're not aggressive enough in their design. I still think radical new buildings go better in older neighborhoods than fakey old buildings or conservatively designed new buildings. This building, the "Mirador" project, was designed by the Dutch firm MVRDV (project page here) and finished in 2004.
The photo is from the Flickr stream of EPIDEMIA.
There are more views of the building there, a black and white distance shot and a detail shot. There's much more to see by looking around the images with the "San Chinarro" Flickr tag. My two favourite images by other folks are this shot of the "air block" in the middle of the building and this shot of the stairs in one of the red sections.
4 Comments:
So sorry, I think this harkins back to the Brutalism of the 70's...I love modern aggressive design, but this is just cold (makes a cool photo though).
Brutalism is my favourite architectural movement! My only critsisim of much of the Brutalist stuff that actually got built was too conservative.
I did dig up this great quote from Charles, the Prince of Wales, who's no fan of Brutalist architecture either. I don't agree with old big-ears, but I like the quote.
Brutalism has some severe critics, one of the most famous being Charles, Prince of Wales, whose speeches and writings on architecture have excoriated brutalism, calling many of the structures "piles of concrete." "You have to give credit to the Luftwaffe," he once said. "When they destroyed our skyline, they at least replaced it with just rubble."
Now that I think of it, true brutalism would be heavier, and would graviate to the sidewalk. Maybe this is actually more like stacked cargo containers, all the rage, a la Dwell magazine. Still, these newspaper-colored modules squat on their site without so a how de' do to the ground. Until that happens, i don't call it architecture.
Ok, surely someone will call me on that last statement...Of course this is architecture, as currently practiced by the majority of the proffesion. What architects mainly do is design big expensive boxes in the name of ART, which are often unsuccessful at the city-building level.
Post a Comment
<< Home