They're nuking the Pacific Trade Center on Sunday
According to this Breeze article, all it's going to take is five measly pounds of well placed explosives to start the chain reaction that will implode Downtown San Pedro's longest standing eyesore. Depending on wind and the divining rods of the experts managing the demolition, it should happen at about 6 AM this Sunday. I'm gonna be at Walled City by 5 AM to get my tripod and other epherma all ready, and I bet a big crowd is going to come out to watch. This is the 1st implosion in the City of Los Angeles in twelve years - like Halley's Comet, you don't wanna miss it.6 AM Sunday - you might wanna be early, bring your hard hat and camera.
The Breeze also is running another article on the history and failed promise of the Pacific Trade Center.
13 Comments:
supposedly the breeze will capture this on video and post it online.
I'm sure we're going to see lots of photos in all of the local papers, too.
where's walled city?
You know, somehow it's just not the same now that they've stripped the building down. It's just more fun, for some reason, when you get to watch an intact building implode in a cloud of dust.
anonymous- Whyn'cha click that link over there that says, 'Walled City Gallery"? That'll probably help.
do you guys think the courthouse parking lot will be open?
I have no idea. I think the best watching will be from the POLA parking lot on Palos Verdes & 5t. I hop that spot is open.
i just drove by...security is going to keep a 2 block perimeter away from the building.
aside from that corner office in the northrup grumman building, there are two good spots.
but it'll be tricky, with the security. there's already guards on each corner of 5th street.
boy they really screwed that one up.
half the building is still there.
Pictures & whatnot will be posted as soon as I get them processed. The implosion was awesome. I think the group I was with got a little closer than some of the other groups and I might have some great side views of the collapse.
I don't know if they screwed it up - I'm not sure what an implosion on a suspended building is supposed to look like.
They're still keeping a perimiter around the site. The collapsed building looks great, but I can't get close enough to take any decent shots of it.
i was told by a fire official it was supposed to pancake down.
from where i was, one side came down on top of the other. on a building demolition, if you have half of the building left over i don't think that's considered good.
it was a lot louder then i expected too.
Yeah - the whole thing listed to the side - towards Palos Verdes Street. It's basically laying on it's side now. The people on the ground seemed a little confused, but no one mentioned anything out of order. It was funny watching the security guards pretend their decisions held more meaning than the fire marshals.
Pictures are up folks - if anyone has pictures that they want to show on the blog - set up a free Flickr account, let me know about it and I'll post some here for you.
Post a Comment
<< Home