Monday, September 11, 2006

Bisno vs. LAUSD

Thank you, various anonymous readers, for pointing this one out to me. Apparently Bisno Development has denied access to his land by the LAUSD for the purpose of doing soil tests. Bisno claims that the school district never replied to their request to negotiate terms for access, there's no relevant information in the article regarding the LAUSD's position on that statement. Regardless, the LAUSD is taking Bisno to court over the issue.

Bisno is a pro - his people know how to obstruct and divide the public will in order to wedge this unwelcome project into our community, to his future profit. He's publicly stated that if he doesn't get the unit count he's asked for, then he won't provide access to the Mary Star of the Sea High School requires access to Western (through his property is the only way to get there), and that he won't be able to provide his "generous gift/pathetic attempt to buy community support" in the form of a permanent home to the Eastview Little League. He's not someone I can respect or trust and we would do well to be rid of him and his opportunistic project.

Bisno has also publicly stated that if his project is not profitable enough, he'll just flip the property and leave. While he intends this to sound like a threat ("If you don't do what I say - no one will ever come here and develop your crappy town, anyway"), I view it as a great possiblity. I can't consider it a promise, as I neither trust nor respect the man. Any means by which he and his crappy project leaves town is good in my book.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't agree with you on that one calamari. bisno is planning on developing a piece of land that's been unused for years.

it would be beneficial to have it developed. but not for 2,300 units.

600-1,000 might work. but not 2,300.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

You're not disagreeing with me, I think you've interpreted my position incorrectly. I'm totally enthusiastic about having that piece of land developed - I'm not an anti-development NIMBY. I am sick of seeing the abandoned houses lay in ruin. What I'd really like to see is a large development that does four things.

1) Build medium to high density housing. Not senior housing - we need residents in Pedro with the disposable income to revitalise our commercial districts. Use innovative materials/designs - think low energy usage and smart design. Green design is sexy and profitable.

2) Build a new high school. I'm flexible on the number of students, but if we're going to build a 500 seat charter, I'd like to see locations and funding in place for other small schools, before any plan goes forward.

3) Creates some public open space/recreational facilities. That whole area of Pedro right now is off limits. I'm a big fan of high density housing surrounded by lots of nature. I'd rather see that than the return of single family homes. I could care less about baseball, but I hear there's a leauge that needs a permanent home... This could easily be tied into the charter. A charter school that combined academic excellence with a focus on traditional althletisism would be a great asset with facilities that could also be open to the public.

4) Actually mitigates traffic on Western, as well as provides permanent access to the new Mary Star of the Sea school. Bisno's mitigation efforts are not convincing. He starts his defense of his mitigation with the dollar amount he intends to spend on mitigation. I don't care if you can do it for $5 or if it takes $20 million, it needs to be done right and done once.

It's Bisno that I don't like, not the concept of developing the site. I don't do business with people I don't respect and I don't think my city should either. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would like to develop that land, who aren't total losers.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why would it be beneficial to develop the site? What's beneficial about sprawl?

We need more housing in Pedro, but it needs to be infill...and it needs to be affordable (unlike the Vue / Bank Lofts / Centre Street yuppie lofts - what were they thinking?).

1:46 PM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

The site is already developed to some extent. If a developer or public entity (City of LA, Feds, State) wants to buy the property from Bisno and has intentions for it that don't involve building anything beyond the existing housing site, I'd be cool with that. I really don't see that happening now that the property is 100% private land, though.

Right now there's nothing in the housing market to support or encourage the development of real affordable housing. It's unfortunate, but true. We're in an overinflated market (partially powered by some very naughty mortgages that look primed to make a lot of suckers suddenly have a need for both affordable housing and pre-Bush administration bankrupcy rules), and there's no real pressure or incetive for private developers to build affordable housing. Supposedly Mayor "photo op" Villariagosa is creating an affordable housing fund to drive the development of affordable housing in Los Angeles, but how many of those dollars are going to find their way to the Harbor Area?

5:22 AM  
Blogger B. as in bri said...

how did bisno earn such animosity? i am curious.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home