Palos Verdes bends over to accomdate Donald Trump's 70 foot pole
Apparently a majority of the RPV city council doesn't mind playing catcher, at least when the Donald comes calling, and in the face of post 9/11 neo-McCarthyism. No suprise, really.
Trump calls it a "great day for the American flag". I guess if the American flag now stands for the abandonment of the rule of law...
Read the Breeze story here.
Trump calls it a "great day for the American flag". I guess if the American flag now stands for the abandonment of the rule of law...
Read the Breeze story here.
10 Comments:
the title of your phallic post = LOL
The mayor of PV had a qood quote about giving the developer publicity. Now we have a trump wannabe salivating over the former navy housing in SP
"Everyone is equal, some people are more equal, and a few people are really more equal."
Yeah, so, anyway, I've been laying very low for the last three months (I didn't have a very good summer) and apparently I've missed a lot.
Like, for example, the unanimous approval by the PC-CAC of an eighteen-story condo project on Fifth and Palos Verdes, across from the old Logicon site. Anybody know anything about this? In the Random Lengths story, somebody said that it would have brownstone and brick elements to make it harmonious with the historic architecture in the area. Are we talking real brick and brownstone, or fake-ass veneer à la the Centre Street McLofts? What do they want to do with the ground floor? How unaffordable are the units going to be? Etc.
Also, in the latest San Pedro Magazine, Joshua Steckler reveals the new party line on Ports O'Call. No longer "oh my god, it's a ghost town," now it's "oh my god, it's packed on weekends, but they're all a bunch of Me--er, I mean, a bunch of La--I mean, uh, a bunch of people with legible tattoos!"
That brings up an interesting sociological shift in our culture, there. There was a time when tattoos--just the presence of them--could be used as genteel code for "undesirable black / Mexican / poor white trash" when the subject was whom to exclude from a place that was trying to project an air of white bourgeois propriety. No more. Now that every upper middle class Jason or Jennifer has that Polynesian-tribal-ring-bicep thingamajig or sunrisey-lower-back whatchamacallit peeking out from under the Pepperdine sweatshirt, it's become necessary to distinguish among tattoo subtypes to determine which ones to stigmatize as low, minority, outsider, dangerous.
So apparently now it's folks whose tattoos have lots of letters in them who, so to speak, need not apply.
The funniest thing about that column was that Steckler was evidently so petrified by all that brown...er, I mean, alphanumerically inked skin that he never even made it past the parking lot; he merely speculates that one (i.e., one of us) would surely fear for one's safety inside.
I've been inside there, Josh. Unless you're allergic to the smell of Three Flowers, it's perfectly safe. Find another angle, guy.
San Pedro Magazine will never change. It will always be the same flavor of douche-y goodness. "How me and my buddy Jack Baric will save you San Pedrans from yourselves, part XXXXXVIII."
I am pretty darned sure that the Palos Verdes Urban Village will rely on the same kind of faux-authentic building materials that you usually see on newer developments that are throwing a bone to the preservationists. Doing it (brick, brownstone, wood, or whatever) for real costs more, and it all comes out of the profit margin. These guys aren't in it for their health. Anyone who knows more, correct me if I'm wrong.
I mean the developERs are throwing a bone to the preservationists, not the developMENTS. I hope none of you had a mental picture of a building throwing a bone. Sorry.
Fuck yeah! Hell fucken yeah, man! Right on. Whoo hoo! Way to stick it to that Steckler guy, IMBG. (And Josh Stecker's probably feeling pretty demoralized right about now too.) I mean, there's no easy way to tell trashy people just how much they suck, but Steckler was way way out of line, talking smack about garbage and gang types, intonating that they might even be BAD for the community. The nerve. What this town needs is more neck tattoos - even on the grandmas. And a sharp increase in harborheads who make up their own Roman numerals. And loads more of those biker dudes who rev their engines real loud to force you to see how bad ass they are because they can twist a knob and make it go REEE-EEERRRR. Oh, and...and more of those recovery houses where fat ladies walk around in their muumuus and skinny guys squat on the sidewalk and talk to themselves all day and folks piss in the street because it's just so real, man. We need those down-on-their luck types to give us all a little bit of street cred for living among them.
But beyond that, San Pedro is already so damn great the way it is. It's quaint. Love it or leave it. It ain't like the Westside. And that's why it's unique. Except for maybe Harbor City, Wilmington, East LA, Watts, Pico Rivera, Gardena, Inglewood, Downey, Boyle Heights, Van Nuys, Pacoima and Sylmar. Come to think of it there are a bunch of places around LA not like the affluent Westside, but ir-regardless! Pedro stands out because not only is it not like the Westside, it defines itself by just how much like the Westside it's not. And that makes it unique my friend.
So it doesn't matter how problematic one group of people - whether united by color, class or really unfortunate pants and skin art - might be. Nobody should be allowed to actually point out a pattern of behavior if it casts a negative light on the group, because then you're being discriminatory. Unless, of course, the group is white collar, or golfers, or anything too mainstream to be edgy. Well, then, by all means, bash away.
Well, your names are getting funnier, Tockrassie. I'll give you that much.
Murray Tockrassie = Jack Baric?
haha! awesome. san pedro mag blows.
"And a sharp increase in harborheads who make up their own Roman numerals." (etc, etc, etc)
Jeez, all I get is a half sentence about my Roman numerals? What do I have to do to get a four hundred word reply out of this guy?
Post a Comment
<< Home