Janice Hahn -
Neighborhood Councils are Here to Stay
Citywatch has a piece by our very own Councilperson, Janice Hahn, on her views regarding the current state of the Neighborhood Council system. While I still feel that the Neighborhood Councils are a dangerously vulnerable piece of Los Angeles city governance, Janice seems more enthusiastic.
Can anyone elaborate on this statement? What motion is she talking about and what is it supposed to accomplish? I'm in the dark on this one.
I recently introduced a motion meant to address the concerns raised by several of my colleagues, including some who are generally supportive of Neighborhood Councils. Many are concerned that Neighborhood Councils do not have enough ethical checks to ensure that their recommendations are not tainted or influenced by outside factors.
As always, follow the links to read it in detail.
Can anyone elaborate on this statement? What motion is she talking about and what is it supposed to accomplish? I'm in the dark on this one.
I recently introduced a motion meant to address the concerns raised by several of my colleagues, including some who are generally supportive of Neighborhood Councils. Many are concerned that Neighborhood Councils do not have enough ethical checks to ensure that their recommendations are not tainted or influenced by outside factors.
As always, follow the links to read it in detail.
6 Comments:
Councilmember Hahn's motion on NC's ethics can be found here.
somebody needs to tell her that a true blog allows its users to post comments. it's not a one-way conversation, like hers is.
It's perfectly fine to have a blog which doesn't allow comments. I've seen comments really weaken the focus and quality of some really good blogs. Not having comments can make people be less interested than they might otherwise be.
Janice's blog aside: Neighborhood councils seemed like a wonderful opportunity for local representation in a city that has a dire need for that. It's really too bad that they've become a joke -- totally undemocratic and wide open to corruption.
As a foreigner, I want to defend two N.C. that I have become a visitor to.
Northwest and Coastal have different types of meetings but they both follow the Brown Act and live by the same rule: Them's that do, get.
I wish we had neighborhood councils in my city. Besides making our HOA stronger, they would empower or citizens to fight for what is best for our area of our city.
Sure, sometimes it is very comical visiting these two N.C. Board meetings. But a good chuckle or three from these folks, especially the very laid back Coastal Board can make some weeknights entertaining. They both beat out anything on television, in my opinion.
Both N.C.s I have visited do get things done, whether many of their stakeholders care or not. I feel stakeholders, certainly the ones involved in their N.C. improve the whole area they represent.
Northwest and Coastal are very important allies in dealing with the Ponte Vist Development. If it weren't for these groups, the city I live in would have little chance of fighting Bob Bisno's massive proposal.
I am a foreign witness to the good tasks of these two great Neighborhood Councils.
Noticed you mentioned stakeholders. Tthe biggest problem I have with these councils is that pretty much anyone can vote and serve on any council they choose and in fact there are occasions where the same person serves on more than one council. So "those that do get" is fine and dandy, but maybe they should be getting in their own neighborhood and not risking democratic ideals by stacking themselves and their friends across the board.
Post a Comment
<< Home