More Self-Referential Stuff From the Breeze
I don't know what direction the Breeze is headed in, but right now it's taking a page from Hip Hop with all of these self referential articles. Today's is Editor Phillip Sanfield's awkward sounding "what's up" article, called Owners change, but the Breeze focus is the same. Probably the most open to interpretation of any Breeze related stuff that's come out so far, this one is worth reading.
5 Comments:
dunno if anybody noticed but somebody asked about having two publications in san pedro when singleton addressed the crowd on friday.
i think their answer was "we don't know yet"
Sanfield's piece had something of the tone of those videotaped messages you sometimes see from POWs or hostages: "We...are...being...treated...well. All...our...medical...needs...have...been...taken...care...of. We...thank...our...hosts...for...an...educational...experience." Meanwhile they're blinking "TORTURE" in Morse Code or something.
Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Oh, BTW: I checked out Henry's last night. It's nice enough, as supermarkets go. A slightly scaled-down Wild Oats but with a lot more faux-rustic wood paneling, which I will assume, having never been in a Henry's market before, is some kind of corporate theme befitting the chain's origin in an actual farmer's market in San Diego in the 1940s, before there was such a thing as plaster.
But as I said, it's OK. If you've been to Whole Foods or Wild Oats, you already know what they stock. The floor plan is a little wonky: some of the bread is in the corner by the bakery; some of the bread and about half of the tortillas are in a little central island; some more of the bread and the rest of the tortillas are in the refrigerated shelves along the side. No doubt they will get this sorted out in the fullness of time.
Screw it, I'll keep shopping there until our local greengrocers start stocking more food the primary ingredient of which is food rather than HFCS.
I managed to squeeze into a very crowded Henry's on Saturday. It was too full of confused human roadblocks for me to get anything resembling a solid perspective. I can't figure out if I like it or not. They had a really poor beer selection, and I wasn't particularly impressed with any of the items I bought. I found the layout of items a little awkward, as well.
What's funny about this whole thing is that the most prominent positions at the Breeze will probably be the ones that are cut.
Why does the paper need a Laker/UCLA/USC reporter when they have one at the Daily News? LAUSD reporter? LAPD? LA City? All these beats could be folded into the responsibility of someone who covers it already for the Daily News or some solely downtown person.
The only positions left at the Breeze will likely be the most local jobs: preps, local city councils, anything having to do with small town junk.
Post a Comment
<< Home