Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Pay Pesos for Pizza









I picked this up off of LAist today. Apparently you can now pay in Pesos (bills only, no coins) at any Pizza Patron restaurant in the United States. They just haul out a calculator and do the math (current exchange rate is 12:1). Basically the gist is that many of Pizza Patron's existing customers have some spare Pesos laying around from their last trip to Mexico, and they'd like to get their hands on some.

There's only one Pizza Patron in all of California, and it's right here in the 15th District in Wilmington. I've noticed it before, because they have such a weird looking logo (weird in a good way, that is), but only as I was passing by in the car or on my bike. Now I'm totally going to have to check it out, even though I don't have a single Peso to my name. I called the local branch and they said they're accepting Pesos, so feel free to try it out.

Frankly I think this is a basic business move. The company has to know that it's baiting the right wing with this policy, and that they'll get their name splashed all over the news. I really doubt that they'll realize much additional income from doing this from their existing customer base, but they might attract some new customers who heard about the program and had some Pesos burning a hole in their pocket.

There's an online pile-on over at Fox News that's interesting reading, not because of the hillbilly bigotry, but because of the sheer number of sensible people pointing out how normal this situation is everywhere else in the world and along the Canadian border inside the United States.

Our local Pizza Patron is located at:

223 West Anaheim Street
Wilmington, CA 90744

310-834-1900

UPDATE - Breeze Coverage

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, our dollars seem to be just fine in Baja, so why shouldn't pesos be fine in the 2nd largest spanish speaking city in the world?

I wonder if our citizens/businesses up along the Canadian border accept Canadian money instead of our dead presidents?

If cash registers can have space for different types of money, they why shouldn't the owners of those registers avail themselves of the benefits of their size?

And, don't we have bigger issues to be concerned with other than what folks use to pay for the items they purchase?

5:28 PM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

Lots of places along the Canadian border accept Canadian currency. In most of the world it's pretty easy to use multiple currencies, especially the dollar and the Euro.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home