Friday, January 05, 2007

A sign of change at the Breeze?


















I just popped over to the Daily Breeze website and noticed that all four of the top stories are being listed under the "Updated" or "New" tag. I've noticed that they've been running a lot more stories as they come in, rather than the more newspapery "new stories in the morning or late evening" model that the LA Times uses. Is this a sign of a change in operations, post change of owners? Or is it part of an ongoing effort to better serve their web audience (I only read the paper online, myself)?

I think it's a good thing, as newspapers are 10-20 years from joining the buggy whip industry, provided an catastrophe/global war/meteor strike/second coming doesn't push man back into the stone age, and a newspaper who's website is simply a re-post of its print edition is digging its own grave. Frankly, if I were running a newspaper, I'd consider the print edition to be an extension/boiling down of my web content. Of course, since newspaper sales are totally driven by ads (hence the term "news hole"), and I know next to nothing about either the dead tree news publishing industry or the electric horseman version, so I'm probably massaging my uvula with my piggies on that statement.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish they'd post more local stories on the Web quicker. Most of the updated stories are wire pieces I can pick up off yahoo or google news.

Maybe a big part of why they don't put a lot into their Web site is it doesn't pay. Practically every story has the same advertisers, Tony's on the Pier on top and the Whale and Ale at the bottom of the story.

5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

attn condo buyers, from the Daily Breeze,

...tensions among Latino and black gang members have escalated in the area, including in San Pedro.

Numerous black gang members from other parts of Los Angeles have moved into Harbor Gateway and San Pedro, angering entrenched Latino gangs, he said. In 2006, police compiled information on more than 260 "outside" gang members now in the Harbor Area.

Many moved into the community because of low-income housing in Harbor Gateway and San Pedro. Gang injunctions in South Los Angeles also contributed in forcing them to the Harbor Area.

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and the whiners on this site are trying to keep SP crappy by scaring all the condo buyers away.

Must be tough - having to choose between gang violence and new, relatively affluent new neighbors who'll make you feel like losers by comparison.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

What can I say - this town is chock full of scared folks who are deeply afraid of change. It's coming whether they try and scare their future neighbors away or not.

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My my, quite defensive comments from 12:54 and 5:55. How quick and ignorant of you to jump to false conclusions about what I think. As reading comprehension is obviously not your strength, all I did was paste excerpts from a front page Daily Breeze story that realtors will undoubtedly neglect to mention. If this story is false, refute it and challenge the Breeze. If not, do something constructive such as demanding that Janice Hahn push for gang injunctions in the Harbor area.

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one's trying to refute your story, above-anon. Just pointing out that your motives are fairly transparent. You're the one who singled out condo buyers, and whether tongue-in-cheek or not, it really wasn't that controversial or witty or revealing, as realtors always play down negative neighborhood aspects. That's why nearly all realtor websites now list crime statistics with neighborhood data. That's how one found out that Venice (yes, soaring-real-estate Venice) has a higher rate than SP... Although the main crime in THIS town that's hard to find anywhere else is the crime of being sinfully ugly. Seriously, do all the women have to be either fat or leathery or toothless or dead-ringers for "Patty the Daytime Hooker" on My Name Is Earl?

Anyway, questioning your motives doesn't preclude action against gangs from either myself or Calamari. So try another approach, broseph.

2:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(that's the crime rate I was referring to in Venice.)

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home