Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Times Article on the Cliffs & Danelo Update

The LA Times is running an article on the cliffs at Point Fermin this morning. It strikes me as a weird article, as it makes no direct reference to Sunken City whatsoever. I always think of Sunken City as the most distinct and interesting part of the cliffs in Pedro. It talks a lot about the winds, including this little tidbit that I hope is just local urban legend.


Locals mention the allure of the cliffs when they are buffeted by fierce winds. Some youths, they say, play a game of balancing themselves at the top of the bluffs, counting on the winds pushing against their bodies to stop them from falling.

Also, the Daily Breeze is running a follow up story on Mario Danelo's death. The toxicology portion of the autopsy will take several weeks to finalize, so unless there's some surprising new development, we'll have to wait a while for the investigation to close. For those interested, the funeral will be held at 10:30 AM this Friday at Mary Star of the Sea, and it will be followed by a reception at the Doubletree Hotel.

Lastly, LAist is running a post USC Remembers Mario Danelo, which has some images of from the team's return to USC, and also pointed me towards the two links below.

Long time Trojans radio announcer Pete Arbogast remembers Mario Danelo

Teammates convinced Danelo's death was an accident

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Calamari...I'm stuck up in Green Country now (aka Eugene, OR) but I told you I'd track you down once I got settled. This little blog helps me feel in touch with the good folks back home. Sad I'm not there now to pay my respects. The Danelos are a great family who have raised three good Pedro boys.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home