Who Will Weep for the Daily Breeze?
South Bay blogger Garrison Frost has put up a piece asking the above question "Who Will Weep for the Daily Breeze?" Frost is of the perspective that no one seems to really care what happens to the Breeze. While I think he's approaching the Breeze acquisition with a bit of fatalism (things could go on just as they have for all I know), he's got some great points to make. I found the quote below to be particularly thought provoking.
Does anyone in theSouth Bay care what happens to the Daily Breeze?
The whole Breeze situation really drives me to one question - what do I want out of the paper? The Breeze is really the only paper that's in the position to cover the Harbor Area adequately, and I'd hate to see it disappear. What I'd like to see is some real journalism go on at a new Breeze, right now the Harbor Area could do with a lot more investigative journalism than the kind of "repeat the press release" journalism that's become the standard at most newspapers.
Does anyone in the
If there is a lot of concern in the community about the future of the paper, I’m not hearing it. Not from people I talk to, not from local websites that discuss such things, not from the letters to the editors of the Breeze and the other local newspaper affected by the purchase. Sure, this could mean that I just don’t talk to the right people. I would be the first to confess that my network isn’t what it used to be. Still, I have yet to talk to a single person who has expressed any concern that the quality of the Breeze might be affected by MediaNews ownership.
Anyways, read the piece here.The whole Breeze situation really drives me to one question - what do I want out of the paper? The Breeze is really the only paper that's in the position to cover the Harbor Area adequately, and I'd hate to see it disappear. What I'd like to see is some real journalism go on at a new Breeze, right now the Harbor Area could do with a lot more investigative journalism than the kind of "repeat the press release" journalism that's become the standard at most newspapers.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home