Body found off Point Fermin
No real details, other than a male body, 35-45 was found in the tide pools at 9:25 AM. They've brought the body up to the Korean Bell, where as of about 30 minutes ago, the authorities were giving it a thorough look over. No word on if the death was the result of a fall or of another cause has come in yet.
I walked out from my office and took a look from the overlook in front of the Marine Exchange, but I couldn't see anything of real interest, other than that the body looked pretty intact and that the Police have cordoned off the Korean Bell parking lot. Apparently a bunch of Asian tourists were at the bell when they closed it down and had their picture taken with the police, which I and the various Studio Artists who were taking a look found a bit odd.
Breeze coverage here.
UPDATE - This morning's Breeze has some more details. Yes, the injuries are consistent with a fall, and yes, as I observed yesterday, the guy was completely naked (I figured they had just stripped the body down to look for injuries). No ID on the deceased, yet. The article also mentions that about 10 people die each year off the cliffs.
The article has a weird quote from Officer Vincent Albano regarding the nudity -
"I remember back when everyone was on PCP, and the first thing they did was strip all their clothes off because they feel hot," he said.
"Back when everyone was on PCP" - remember when we were doing PCP all the time? Back when PCP was totally in? That statement just struck me as a bit weird, given that PCP is probably the rarest of all street drugs. Shows the kind of slightly distorted perspective that police tend to develop in their semi-isolated environment, I guess.
FURTHER UPDATE - The authorities have identified the body, but they haven't released his name publicly yet. Breeze coverage.
I walked out from my office and took a look from the overlook in front of the Marine Exchange, but I couldn't see anything of real interest, other than that the body looked pretty intact and that the Police have cordoned off the Korean Bell parking lot. Apparently a bunch of Asian tourists were at the bell when they closed it down and had their picture taken with the police, which I and the various Studio Artists who were taking a look found a bit odd.
Breeze coverage here.
UPDATE - This morning's Breeze has some more details. Yes, the injuries are consistent with a fall, and yes, as I observed yesterday, the guy was completely naked (I figured they had just stripped the body down to look for injuries). No ID on the deceased, yet. The article also mentions that about 10 people die each year off the cliffs.
The article has a weird quote from Officer Vincent Albano regarding the nudity -
"I remember back when everyone was on PCP, and the first thing they did was strip all their clothes off because they feel hot," he said.
"Back when everyone was on PCP" - remember when we were doing PCP all the time? Back when PCP was totally in? That statement just struck me as a bit weird, given that PCP is probably the rarest of all street drugs. Shows the kind of slightly distorted perspective that police tend to develop in their semi-isolated environment, I guess.
FURTHER UPDATE - The authorities have identified the body, but they haven't released his name publicly yet. Breeze coverage.
Labels: body, Korean Bell, Point Fermin
15 Comments:
Is it just me, or are we just getting a lot of dead bodies in the San Pedro/Palos Verdes area? What's up? Should we update the tourist guides?
lots of bodies? yes. lots of foul play? maybe. the one found in p.v. was the only confirmed homicide...
If San Francisco has the Golden Gate Bridge, perhaps we should welcome tourists to our "Golden Gate Ridge".
How about a "Cliff Map" sold by street vendors listing all the places where bodies have been found. Proceeds from the maps could go toward greif counciling for the survivors of the victims, no matter what the circumstances were.
I don't want to see fences or high barriers to block views, but it seems we have had far too many folks end up on the wrong part of the cliffs-the bottom, without the aid of a path or trail.
Janice Hahn to the rescue....
I can see it coming.
God...nooooooo...please...
"And in 2007, I helped make San Pedro's majestic cliffside parks safer by extending the high iron fence from Sunken City all the way northwest to the Rancho Palos Verdes city limits."
There's no need for additional fencing around the cliffs. You can't protect everybody from everything.
i'm with calamari. no fences. no walls. leave it alone.
Maybe the officer who said "everyone was on PCP" was referring to everyone who was found without clothes for one reason or another.
(I know, I'm really reaching here.)
I figure that's what he was trying to say, but it just sounded so weird.
wonder how old the cop is? PCP was fairly big in the '70s.
Isn't PCP referring to what everybody was on, a Pacific Coastal Peninsula?
Hey, I didn't know there were cliffs overlooking the blue Pacific at the Hard Rock Hotel in Florida.
I think that cop must be in his 40's at least. PCP, Angel Dust, Sherm,.. it was an epidemic of the sort that crack and meth are today. The only thing good about it was there was not as much gun violence associated with it, but it would turn the user into a semi- conscious zombie with super-human strength, and no sensation of pain. I remember reading or seeing news stories where the cops would shoot one of these guys like 15 times and they would still keep coming at them. Kind of like Rasputin. Freaky stuff. Anyhow, I'm old enough to remember the reign of PCP, I would say 1978-1984, then it was surpassed by freebase/ aka "crack".
Heh...I knew people who were smoking sherm long after '84...
It's not addictive, so it never reached the proportions of the crack epidemic, but it's always had its core of devotees.
I heard somewhere that "sherm" isn't PCP but rather it's formaldehyde. A Sherman cigarett dipped in formaldehyde, to be specific. Anybody know whether this is the case?
Sherm has always been slang for PCP, as far as I know. Could be that it originally meant something else.
All I know is that I used to have an apartment directly above a group of PCP dealers, and they were some whacked out, messed up dudes. They were weird, but there was never any violence, which I was always waiting to see happen.
Post a Comment
<< Home