Good Lord, why? Tell me why!
I remember this thing being talked about a year or so ago. I don't mean to bash the artist here; maybe I do the developers, but either way, can someone tell me why this is a "great idea?" It's a little nightmarish if you ask me. (Which you didn't.)

"Mojo" is the name of this interactive robot thing that is going to beam a spotlight on people as they walk by the Centre Street Lofts. It's going to be installed at the base of the building and it will get its beam-on-you information from a couple of surveillance cameras that will also be installed on the roof of the building.
German artist Christian Moeller is the designer of this monstrosity. The developers actually think this is going to make the art scene more of a hot place to be in San Pedro. It doesn't seem like a desirable feature for Downtown San Pedro to me, but what do I know? Maybe it's G-rrrreat! It seems like bad mojo to me, but I'd like to know what others think about it. Do tell!
This comes from LA Curbed, which in turn used the image courtesy of the full NY Times article. Me, I just took it. ;)
"Mojo" is the name of this interactive robot thing that is going to beam a spotlight on people as they walk by the Centre Street Lofts. It's going to be installed at the base of the building and it will get its beam-on-you information from a couple of surveillance cameras that will also be installed on the roof of the building.
German artist Christian Moeller is the designer of this monstrosity. The developers actually think this is going to make the art scene more of a hot place to be in San Pedro. It doesn't seem like a desirable feature for Downtown San Pedro to me, but what do I know? Maybe it's G-rrrreat! It seems like bad mojo to me, but I'd like to know what others think about it. Do tell!
This comes from LA Curbed, which in turn used the image courtesy of the full NY Times article. Me, I just took it. ;)
Labels: development, planning
10 Comments:
I like the generic So Cal anystreet background in the photo...I imagine the conversation at the NY times went something like this:
"Hey, what does San Pedro, California look like?"
"I dunno...it's California, just find a picture of a street with palm trees."
"Got it, thanks."
It's a device to flatter the yuppies with the idea that they are avant garde appreciators of edgy art.
Am I the only one who finds it somewhat noteworthy that it was the NEW YORK TIMES that ran this story and not the LOS ANGELES TIMES? The fact that it wasn't in the Daily Breeze doesn't surprise me in the least.
I would say anyone thinking of putting this thing anywhere near any place is as nutty as a loon.
But, I don't want to disparage loons or hurt their feelings.
It looks more like a crossing gate post for train tracks, and the thing that came out of the bottom of the flying saucer in a science fiction movie.
Could it be that it will actually emit disintegrating rays. If that is the case, I have a particular developer in mind that I wouldn't feel all to sad if he were to come just a wee bit too close to the beam.
I am no artist, but neither is Mr. Moeller, it seems. I feel we can appreciate Carol Es' comments as well as Calamari's. They know art far better than the folks who commissioned this disintegrating ray/crossing arm.
MW
Orwellian
Hey, mjp, as much fun as it is to poke fun at the NYT, that is Centre St, and that building there is Centre Street Lofts. It's a pretty good artists concept, too. Check out my crappy cameraphone pix!
I've never liked this project - It's never struck me as an implementation that lives up to its concept. I've never found it appealing as a visual object. Just because you can LEGO together concepts, ideas and execution in a novel way does not make something great art. It may just be a matter of me not really liking Moeller's work very much.
Oh and as soon as it goes up, I say we start a betting pool on how soon it's busted and embarrassing. That's the usual fate for robotic/kinetic sculpture that's not part of a permanent museum collection. How much money has been put aside to care for and maintain the robot for the next 50 or so years?
"All I want are sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads! Is that so difficult?"
That's all I can think of when I see this thing.
Hell, I'll take sharks with no laser beams over Mojo. Maybe what we need downtown is an always on view shark tank. That would kick so much ass.
This looks ridiculous in the post. However, I happened to drive by it yesterday and I have to say it looked kind of cool. That was during the day though, who knows how annoying it is at night.
And as Calamari said how long til it doesn't work and is just an eyesore. Time will tell.
Post a Comment
<< Home