Friday, March 23, 2007

Who's Cuisine Will Reign Supreme: Pizza!

Buono's Pizza Mexicana

I was eating a slice of Buono's disturbingly good/shockingly unhealthy Pizza Mexicana (pictured above) last night, and I was wondering... I know who I think has the best pizza in Pedro, that being the aforementioned Buono's, but I'd like to know what everyone else thinks on this matter of great community importance. So who do you think has the best pizza in town? Who has the worst?

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger M Richards said...

San Pedro and the surrounding area is blessed with probably the best Italian restaurants in the nation, IMHO.

We have the great pleasure of being able to visit a variety of great restaurants to pick the best of the best in terms of the types of Italian food we like.

I happen to have a whole list of restaurants I like for individual dishes. There are three restaurants that come to mind for what I feel are the best pizzas.

For thick crust, I like Sorrento's and Buono's. For thin crust, I like Z-Pizza. Great pizza can be found at any number of restaurants, but these three are the ones that stand out for me.

Honorable mention should go to Niccolo's and their Nicarnivore Pizza. Four meat toppings on a pretty expensive pizza make for a very filling and tasty meal. It is not a pizza for someone who likes simpler tastes. It is a meat-heavy pizza.

If you have seen me you know that I have eaten probably way to many Italian dishes.

If you were to ask me about Lasagna, then Nona's Kitchen on Western Avenue would be the only place I would recommend. But for pizza at her place, sadly I must recommend many other places. But boy-o-boy, her Lasagna is just so good.
MW

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't forget phillipo's. granted it's not as good as buono's, but it's also not as hard on your pocketbook. stuft pizza on western also deserves recognition.

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorrentos Hands Down! Its the only pizza place I'll eat at when im back in the home town for a visit.

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorrentos is good, but a little heavy. I'd have to go with Buonos, Z as runner up.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My wife makes the best pizza. But I had to say that. Niccolo's is good. I remember Tony's first at 19th and Pacific then at 21st and Pacific? And, of course Sorrento's.

12:42 AM  
Blogger deryke said...

the best pizza in up to you but the reallitry is that peeedro has about 30 pizza joints in town.

i think we have the most pizza as well as the best!

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is good. What about best Mexican in Pedro?

1:03 PM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

Let's give that it's own post. It's up! Place your bets on Pedro's finest Mexican food there.

Based upon the comments in this post, it looks like I'm going to have to give Z Pizza a try and re-visit Sorrento's.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have spoken to many people in pedro about the quality of the food here, and i am always surprised to hear their "ravings" about certain restaurants. a few are great but to me it seems like there's not a lot of choice. but i guess i have to come to grips with admitting i am a super picky eater and a terrible date.

if you guys think san pedro has the best italian food around, then sock me in the eye and call me francis. to me, most of it is barely tolerable! albeit, i have not yet had the chance or the funds to partake at marcelos - but it looks like good, traditional tuscan. anybody?

for pizza, i've tried it all i think. sorrentos could be good -- if you want an extra 20 pounds of cheese on your pie. gracious! it's kinda good, but waaay too heavy.

niccilos is a little more money than most, but in my opinion they probably have the best real pizza in town. their gourmet pizzas make for a pretty damn good pie! try one with spinach. it's closer to a real italian pizza than any other place else in town. and they deliver (but it could be an hour or more on friday and saturdays). other dishes there are not fantastic, but i eat it.

buonos has the worse delivery ever. we gave them many chances. once it was an hour late, another time it was the wrong pizza, another time the pizza was completely squashed into one side of the box, and another time they just plum forgot to deliver it all together! the pizza was just ok. nothing spectacular.

i'll try Z again. i don't remember it standing out.

there are a few GREAT places for other styles of food here. but some of them are very pricey. :(

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I almost forgot -- Godmother's offering is also worthy of note. It's called a "sportizza." Short for, sports pizza, the thing is awesome...especially after three or four beers.

you'll never taste a better frozen pizza than that. awesome.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

Carol does have a strong point about Buono's delivery service. Their pizza may be fantastic, but I've found they can be really hard to deal with on the phone end of their delivery - on more than one occasion, I've had to negotiate the baked gourd of a stoned out teenager while trying to place an order. And they seem to have no concern about making you wait an hour or more for a pizza.

Banditos - Godmother's has food? As in Godmothers on 7th & Centre?

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes. that Godmothers.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

I didn't know they even had a kitchen. Is that new?

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know, i'm not sure it's made in a kitchen. i think he nukes it in a microwave. it's frozen pizza.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

So what's on a sportizza? I'm totally curious.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

think digiorno's frozen pepperoni pizza.

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home