Who's Cusine Will Reign Supreme: Mexican!
Snakes brought this up in the comments of our pizza post. So who is the top dog when it comes to Mexican food in this town. I have three favourites, in this order.
1) The taco truck in front of True Value on Pacific - they've always had great tacos al pastor and a really solid lengua.
2) Pronto's on Pacific. Although the new one on Western just doesn't have the quality or the selection to bring me back for a second visit, the Pronto's on Pacific makes a dandy burrito, and is one of the only places in town where you can really get a torta.
3) Las Brisas, at Gaffey and Channel. Always great for late night people watching, and they've always had a really addictive carnitas.
Labels: development, food, planning
14 Comments:
let us not forget the place that was were prontos (pacific) was. the salvadorian joint. mmmm mmmm gud...
the land has good food energy.
The Salvadoran place was the best Latin American food that has ever been in Pedro, but alas, it's gone. They had the best beans and did amazing things with fish.
Just remembered what the name of the Salavadoran place was - Costa Del Sol.
I love Pronots, but I love Enchilada House over by first and Bandini too. The machaca and Chile Releno at Prontos is excellent. One thing I don't like about the Pacific location is it always has flies buzzing about...not good with food.
Enchilada House has great tacos and, of course, enchiladas.
el taco, pronto's, taxco, and azteca, are the only mexican restaurants i've been to in pedro.
i can't really say any of them stand out as the clear winner. but if i had to choose one, i'd probably go with pronto's.
what would really kick ass is if Tito's Tacos up in Culver City decided to open a joint in San Pedro.
The best Mexican food is at Arturo's at PCH and Western. I've been going there for over 40 years.
Banditos - I can't believe you just recommended Tito's. Tito's has to be the worst Mexican food in LA. Like Pinks, I have no idea why people seem to like it.
sorry, must beg to differ with you there.
tito's tacos is much better than say, el taco. the tamales and burritos aren't as good as some of the places in pedro, but there's a reason it's called tito's tacos.
El Taco is weird. I don't like 95% of their menu, but they make a mind blowingly good breakfast burrito, and they have decent bunelos. With the exception of the breakfast burrito, which I think should be the official breakfast food of Los Angeles, I have little to no sympathy for overly Americanized Mexican food.
In that case, you wouldn't have any sympathy at all for Arturo's. "40 years" is not always a good thing.
Meh..."authenticity" in cuisine is overrated. Cuisine won't accommodate purists by refusing to assimilate any more than people will. If it feels good, eat it! Vegetarian burritos and chop suey for all!
Phillip should know that 40 years is time enough to sample what's out there. I love Arturo's, especially the chicken molle and the chili rellenos. YUM!
by the way, pronto's on pacific is running a 2nd anniversary special. chili fries and hot dogs for $1.
La Gordita's on Normandie and Sepulveda in Harbor City....Worth the trip for me!
Post a Comment
<< Home