Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Who's Cuisine Will Reign Supreme: Hamburgers!

Bobcat Bite burger
I've traveled far and wide, and I've eaten a lot of hamburgers. I've driven down lonely roads looking for legendary burger stands with lightening striking all around (That Bobcat Bite burger up top is the very legend itself). I'm a burger snob who's easily inflamed when I can't get a burger so rare I can hear the echo of the cow's heartbeat. An annoying customer who forces lazy butchers to grind whole chuck roasts to get the perfect meat for his own evil experiments in hamburger excess.

Yet, I live in a burger desert. Sure I've eaten all of the local burgers, and I've got some junk food love for a few of them, but I have no love, no desire for any of them. I do not awake in the middle of the night, covered in sweat, hungry for any of them...

If I had to pick a favourite San Pedro burger, I'd have to choose In-N-Out. I'm not the In-N-Out devotee that many are - I think there are far better burger chains, but at least the kids up on Western can deliver something I can respect. Were there no In-N-Out in Pedro, I don't know what I'd choose.

So is there a burger in San Pedro that's worth jawing? Some secret spot I'm not aware of? A hidden gem that deserves another try?

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger M Richards said...

Right now my two favorite burgers can be found at the 710 Grill and at the Gaffey Diner. They are both cooked well and have all the stuff I expect to find on a regular burger.

I remember when the old Tarrynow on Western at 25th had really great burgers and when Marie Calendar's first opened, their burgers were so big and juicy, they fell apart, but they were really tasty.

If you do go to In-N-Out after 11:00 PM, please don't honk your horn. I need my sleep.
MW

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Appreciate the tips. We've always thought that the San Pedro Brewing Company does a nice job with their burgers. And it's a cool place to hang out on a slow weekend afternoon.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, spbc is yum. the san pedro diner on pacific, fantastic cafe, chicago for ribs, rex's, and in and out.

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

S.P. Brewing Co. has a decent burger but for a great burger - the best in California try Chez Jays in Santa Monica

2:53 PM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

Chez Jay? Never heard of it associated with hamburgers, and some light Googling turns up nada on their burgers. What's the scoop on their burgers Anon 2:53?

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heck, if you're going to leave San Pedro, then you have to talk about Father's Office. Don't you?

3:54 PM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

If we're leaving town, there's a lot of places that should get mentioned.

My current favourite LA hamburger is the hamburger sandwich at The Pantry. It's basically a hamburger steak and some bread, but you can con them into cooking it blood rare, and ordering a side of sliced tomato, and you have a damn fine old school hamburger sandwich.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you are leaving town? try rockies diner in boise, id. wicked good burgers

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home