Friday, April 13, 2007

Who's Cusine will Reign Supreme - Sandwiches

Busy Bee BBQ Chicken Sandwich

I don't think there's any doubt that San Pedro is rich in sandwiches. We're blessed. Sure, there isn't a decent Jewish deli that doesn't require a 45 minute drive, but the sheer volume of local sandwiches makes up for that fact.

My favourite Pedro sandwich of all time is the Busy Bee BBQ chicken, with no cheese, extra sauce and avocado. Goes great with a cactus cooler. It's been my "damn this is a long day at work" oasis for almost a decade, a point of reference that I can always rely on. I eat a lot of sandwiches, though - my next five favourites are, with #1 being the best and #5 being the 5th best:

1) Southwest Chicken Sandwich from the Sandwich Saloon. Firstly, the Saloon delivers, which can be a lifesaver when you're working and you just don't have the time to run around. I like mine on whole wheat, with no cheese, extra chilis and extra avocado.

2) The BTLA at Walker's - Walker's has great food, and it's worth the "you don't belong here" vibe to get it. I like mine on rye, they go heavy on the avocado and on the tomato. On weekdays, Walker's is a great chill out spot in the afternoon.

3) The Meatball at A-1 Market - Another place notoriously unwelcoming to strangers, A-1 Market on 8th street makes a nice meatball sandwich. They've got good olives on the side, too.

4) The Ahi sandwich at the San Pedro Brewing Company - If I'm going for a sit down lunch or dinner, this is my sandwich of choice. They seem to have a supply of pretty good tuna, and they know how to grill an onion. The real secret of the SPBC menu is that you can substitute their insanely good mac & cheese for their fries. Don't get me wrong, they've got good fries, but that mac & cheese is awesome.

5) The Turkey Sandwich at Kobe Grill - Before it was Kobe Grill, it was a sandwich shop. Very smartly, the new owners took over the business, and kept the sandwich menu. This is just a solid sandwich - all of their sandwiches are good, and this is a great place to eat with your picky eater friends when you've got a craving for eel bowl.

What sandwiches do you love, or hate? Is Busy Bee's "Best Sandwiches in Town" claim the holy truth, or does it ring false?

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see why restaurant chains and food companies use fake food made of rubber and styrofoam for their photo shoots. Real food doesn't photograph so well.

That poor Busy Bee sandwich looks like it was brutally murdered.

1:54 PM  
Blogger M Richards said...

"Bob Bisno is going to save San Pedro!" I'm sorry that I had to use this post to bring to your attention what Linda D'Ambrosi said at last night's CAC meeting, but this was the first chance I could use it on this blog.

I like the roast beef at the Sandwich Saloon. Of course Busy Bee needs to be mentioned, too. I do like the meatball sandwich at Kobe Grill. I like the rare roast beef I get at Downtown Subs and More, but I do like the mesquite chicken from Quiznos.

I like my sandwiches very simple so I can taste the best bread and meat available. Most of the good places use bread baked here and that is a plus for all of us.

We may not be blessed with the best chinese or mexican food in the area, but the italian food and the sandwich selections we have are second to none, IMHO
MW

2:40 PM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

I did brutally murder that Busy Bee sandwich - and I'll to it to any others that cross my path, too!

Mark - Who's Linda D'Ambrosi?

2:54 PM  
Blogger M Richards said...

Linda is one of Bob's supporters who comes to CAC meetings and tells us all how Bob is the best person to come around in a long time and San Pedro is getting worse by the day and Bob will come and fix everything if he is allowed to build his 2,300-unit project.

She claims she was born and raised in San Pedro, and she even says she still lives there. She actually lives in RPV and trys to let everybody know how affluent she is.

Linda looks strikingly similar to Nancy Larios, who in August 2004, hit her husband Luis over the head with a blunt object, stabbed him in the face 9 times with a pair of scissors, before she plunged the scissors through Luis' eye. Nancy is not serving LWOP after her conviction for first degree murder.

Linda has spoken at several CAC meetings and if she appears to speak at any future CAC meetings, I am sure she will say something at least as amazingly stupid as, "Bob Bisno is going to save San Pedro."

At least Linda didn't use the same old lines most of the other Bobsupproters use. It goes something like, "I think Mr. Bisno has done a fine job with this project and I think your committee (CAC) should approve Mr. Bisno's plans so we can have affordable housing for seniors so they won't have to move to Riverside. I know the homes will be affordable to middle-income families and I don't want any R1 housing at Ponte Vista."

Sometimes CAC meetings can provide a whole weeks worth of comedy.
MW

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

turkey dip at Downtown Subs and More. Hmm...goodness.

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Vons on Gaffey at the deli. Pesto chicken on ciabatta, California Club & pulled pork. Not all together, mind you... 3 diff'r'nt sandwiches.

11:52 PM  
Blogger Chris and Rose said...

Torpedo or BBQ Chicken at South Shores Meat Market all the way. Darko and his son Mark and the rest of the guys in the shop can make a mean sub. I agree with the rest of the panel that there are many many good sandwiches in the town but I have made SSMM my regular stop.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the D'Ambrosi's own Norman's clothing store downtown.

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did any of you know that one of your CAC members is supporting that large condo project that is going up where the Raquet Club is. This person has been working on this for a couple of years now and she is not at all concerned with the traffic that will be caused because of it. Could this be financial gain for her own benefit?

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting. Maybe someone should be doing their homework before posting their news. Did you know that the D'Ambrosi Family that owns the clothing store downtown San Pedro is a completely different family? FACT

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home