Sunday, May 27, 2007

Centre Street Lofts Photos

Flicker user Phoblog, a.k.a. blogging.la writer Christiana Dominguez uploaded a set, New Stuff in Pedro, containing a ton of photos from the interior of the Centre Street Lofts, as well as some images from the farmer's market and Caffe Port Town. Also, of interest to some of us would be this image of Caffe Port Town's much talked about, and much disparaged, "House Rules".

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess "Caffe Cognitive Dissonance" was too big to fit on the sign.

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, cool sign. It is nice to see a restaurant in Pedro show a little class. I will be sure to visit them.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's no mystery why people are disparaging those house rules. They have that certain irresistable mixture of snottiness and stupidity that practically beg you to make fun of them.

Starting with the irony of naming a coffee place "Port Town" and then trying to ensure that nobody who goes in there sees any evidence of being in a...port town.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Mojo operational yet?

8:48 PM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

I don't think a joint with class would need to post such a lengthy and specific list of rules.

Showell is right - if you're going to try and capitalize on the "Port Town" vibe, then you're shooting yourself in the foot by trying to "keep out the riff raff." What's more in tune with the identity of the community, a cafe aspiring to a snotty and exclusionary crowd, or an anything goes dive bar?

Kris - I have heard that Mojo is in motion, but I haven't seen it myself. The person who says they saw it moving was extremely disappointed, and noted how clunky and awkward it is compared to the conceptual drawings used to sell it to the community.

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn. i'm usually one of those pro-development types happy to see 'Pedro show a little class', but this sign is just pure stupidity.

i can appreciate the difficulties of trying to open a business on that particular street corner. i was in Caffe Port Town (pre-house rules days) and a couple of kids came in off the street; they didn't buy anything - just sat down and were pretty disruptive.

still, it's obvious to me that a sign like this isn't an effective way to control your customers without driving them away altogether, especially with such goofy ways of defining the 'riff-raff'. I mean, baseball caps, flip-flops and freakish hair-dos - that describes much of the Friday-night clientele at any bar in Hermosa Beach.

anyway, good luck to them enforcing their house rules without hiring a full-time bouncer.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I consider myself a clean-cut, upstanding resident of SP. 29 years old. Blonde. Cute, even. I can usually be seen in my "business-casual" attire, coming off a day's work at a large firm. I'm quiet, mind my own business, and tip well. I'm sure I'd fit the profile of the type of customer Caffe Port Town would love to see walk through their doors, but they won't have any of my business. Their sign is just so LAME.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Chris and Rose said...

It would be interesting to compare photos of the Hollywood folks that show up in the tabloids against these rules, would the coffee shop turn away the so called Los Angeles Royalty or would a blind eye be turned.

Its to bad that the phrase "we reserve the right to refuse service" doesn't have enough teeth in the eyes of this shops owners. Maybe they are scared of the people they plan to turn away and hope the sign will do the job for them.

12:54 PM  
Blogger M Richards said...

I guess me and all the other R1 supporters wouln't be welcome at that place.

We have all been called "riff-raff" by Bob's cadre and worse words, too.
MW

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is too rich and too funny to pass up.

If you look closely at two of the photos showing the inside of the units, isn't that Louis Dominguez and his wife, Suzanne in one of the photos. Of course he could be included in his daughter's photos, but I hope Bob Bisno doesn't get mad having one of his staunchest supporters "viewing the competition?" I am sure Louis would say he is just getting ideas for what he wants to live in at Ponte Vista.

Oh, and don't look to hard for me at Caffe Port Town, I'll be at the Whale and Ale or the San Pedro Brewing Company.

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You want rich and funny? Check this out: going by those Port Town rules, Mike Watt wouldn't be allowed in the place on most days, and he was in the friggin' movie! Heeeeeeeeeeeeeheeheee!

That settles it, I'm making that picture my desktop background.

4:08 AM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

Good point IMBG. I narrated the arts section that Mike was in and I might not make the cut either.

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way:

good luck to them enforcing their house rules without hiring a full-time bouncer.

They won't have to. They've already got their own "Port Town Security," complete with two black and white police type sedans. Take that, pre-vernal-equinox flip-flop-wearing riff raff! Ah, the pathetic comedy of Port Town just does not stop.

12:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you serious about the "Port Town Security" or did you just make that up?

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am totally serious. Police-type sedans, two of them. With little American flag decals on the C-pillars to make them look that much more "official."

I haven't seen the actual Port Town Security "officers" yet, just the cars. I will keep an eye out, and will let you all know if there is any mirth to be derived from their uniforms (ridiculous tassels, braided epaulets, spiky helmets, actual guns, etc.). OK, gotta go.

4:49 AM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

I haven't seen the sedans, but they do have that gray mobile home with a big security sticker on it perma-parked on the street next to the building.

5:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been in there a few times, and their coffee/cookies are pretty dern good, but it's hard to get out of there for under $5. I also noticed the decommissioned police cruisers out back. On a good day I barely meet the dress code, but also noticed the only other people hanging out there were youngsters quietly focused on their laptops, and they were all in the standard teenage uniform of baggy pants and ball caps. Seems he would seem less of an asshat if he just posted the standard "don't act like a jerk or we'll ask you to leave"

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home