Friday, May 11, 2007

coincidence?

It's been crazy down here in Pt Fermin, apparently 2 people have tried to commit suicide. One is dead. Police say the 2 are totally unrelated. It's been nothing but chaos outside my house with 6 helicopters in the sky and a dozen fire trucks, paramedics, etc. This is the only news I can find about it so far: KTLA.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Marshall Astor said...

Great minds think alike!

You would know better than I - Is there an insane amount of LAFD down there for this? I've seen a number of jumpers, fallers, etc... and I've never seen this much media or LAFD on site.

2:31 PM  
Blogger carol es said...

It's probably because they were already near by covering the fire on the island. There were at least 6 copters in the sky, not including the 2 rescue choppers. I counted 8 fire trucks at one point. Everyone came out of their houses, even ME, but it was too difficult to see anything. A LOT of people took pictures though, although I do not know of what exactly. ...It's been an awful week all around for LA. I'm still in shock about Griffith Park.

2:34 PM  
Blogger mjp said...

There seems to be a general ratcheting up of mayhem and chaos lately. What next? A plague of frogs? Another "loft" building?

This would seem to seal the fate of easy access to Sunken City though. If the politicians were unsure of cordoning it off Berlin wall style before, they sure won't hesitate now.

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

unbelievable! didn't janice just meet with the "san pedro palisades" group on tuesday to talk about this?

on a completely different topic -- since when was the area north of point fermin known as the "san pedro palisades"?

there's only one palisades in LA that i know of, and there's no SAN PEDRO in front of it.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a local San Pedro resident and photographer. I was there to capture the retrieval of the person who died on camera. If you would like to see some of the photos go to my website set at http://www.flickr.com/photos/truelifeimages/sets/72157600205913735/

It is very sad, and happens too often!

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm kind of hoping this will get lost in all the chaos about Griffith Park, Catalina, and (locally) the Eastview Little League clusterfuck. Maybe if we keep our voices down, the nanny brigade won't even notice.

In fact, let's not even talk about it right now. Dum-de-dum-de-dum.

(*whistles tunelessly*)

2:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And speaking of changing the subject: we came in tenth tonight. Not bad considering that half of our team were riding bikes that you wouldn't really want to race on if you had a choice (heavy-ass MTBs/townies with fat tires and platform pedals).

2:38 AM  
Blogger M Richards said...

Whether jump or fall
It's all the same,
to most or us
It's a cryin shame.

To loose our view
due to actions by few,
is not quite right
to close off the site.
MW

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I blame all the grandstanding by politicians and grieving family news coverage for MORE not less falls/jumps at Point Fermin. The more attention this stupidity gets, the more numbnuts will come to test the cliffs.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I talked to a couple of Neighborhood Council members (from two different councils) at the FR8 thing yesterday, and they don't like the idea of more fencing, either. But they can't really do anything about it as long as there is the (totally false, IMO) impression out there that "the community" is demanding this crap.

So if you don't want Pt. Fermin all uglied up and sealed off, go talk to your NC members, or better yet, show up at your next Council meeting and hit the mike during the Public Comment period. Don't say I didn't warn you.

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hell, a lot of people jump off the golden gate bridge, but they don't fence that thing off.

i guess some people will never learn.

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of people commit suicide with cars (and take innocent people out with them), but they'll let any yutz who can steer in a semi-straight line for three minutes have a license to drive one.

There are a whole lot of ways for people to kill themselves deliberately. Stopping determined suicidal people from jumping off of tall things (even if it were possible, which it isn't) just forces them to use other, possibly messier and more awful, ways to destroy their own bodies.

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home