Kids and dogs and apple pie!
Nice that they decided to use the dog park for the Eastview little league to play on. Temporarily, of course. Note though that grading the top of Knoll Hill (which ain't flat) and removing the old trees (for the children!) won't be temporary. That's a forever thing.
Forget that big, flat unused space on 22nd street, adjacent to tons of parking. Who would want to build temporary fields there? It makes no sense. Better to chop off the top of Knoll hill and let the dog-people air out their pooches in the dirt lot at the bottom of the hill. Sweet. I love San Pedro!
Seems to me that despite the endless months of whining we've endured, no one really cares about Eastview little league. If they really cared about it they would have been out raising money for their own damn fields somewhere rather than lobbying politicians and developers for a handout. But maybe they were afraid that they couldn't really raise any money from their thousands of supporters.
There are big, flat, empty lots around town that could have been nice little ball parks. If you really cared about the children you wouldn't be afraid to build in the thick of the neighborhood rather than somewhere on the scenic outskirts. Children live in the neighborhoods too. Wouldn't it be great to build baseball fields where they could benefit all the children, not just those who can afford to be in little league?
In the interest of full disclosure, I will say here that I like to take my dog up to Knoll Hill, and I don't have any baseball playing kids, so I'm biased.
But you have to wonder what will eventually happen to Knoll Hill here in Progresstown. It's kind of in the way, you know? A sore thumb. I for one would like to see a new loft building on that spot. The kids can play ball on the roof (don't climb the outfield fence to try and save a homer!) and the dogs can walk on the sidewalk. Everyone wins.
Forget that big, flat unused space on 22nd street, adjacent to tons of parking. Who would want to build temporary fields there? It makes no sense. Better to chop off the top of Knoll hill and let the dog-people air out their pooches in the dirt lot at the bottom of the hill. Sweet. I love San Pedro!
Seems to me that despite the endless months of whining we've endured, no one really cares about Eastview little league. If they really cared about it they would have been out raising money for their own damn fields somewhere rather than lobbying politicians and developers for a handout. But maybe they were afraid that they couldn't really raise any money from their thousands of supporters.
There are big, flat, empty lots around town that could have been nice little ball parks. If you really cared about the children you wouldn't be afraid to build in the thick of the neighborhood rather than somewhere on the scenic outskirts. Children live in the neighborhoods too. Wouldn't it be great to build baseball fields where they could benefit all the children, not just those who can afford to be in little league?
In the interest of full disclosure, I will say here that I like to take my dog up to Knoll Hill, and I don't have any baseball playing kids, so I'm biased.
But you have to wonder what will eventually happen to Knoll Hill here in Progresstown. It's kind of in the way, you know? A sore thumb. I for one would like to see a new loft building on that spot. The kids can play ball on the roof (don't climb the outfield fence to try and save a homer!) and the dogs can walk on the sidewalk. Everyone wins.
11 Comments:
Ha!!!!!
It occurs to me that Knoll Hill is situated rather high up on one of those...shit, what do you call those things again? Oh, yeah: hills.
And if I'm not mistaken, hills generally have slopes, from which it is possible for people--children, even--to fall. And as has been well established after several months of sober reflection and reasoned discussion here in the community, no person should ever be allowed to approach any slope or dropoff where falling may be a possibility.
There is only one solution, then, that will allow this temporary ball field to be built in a manner safe enough for the children of our community: level Knoll Hill. Temporarily, of course. Also, temporarily level the Field of Dreams just in case a temporary softball field becomes necessary there.
Oh, and level all of Eastview as well. Sure, it's a gradual incline, but what if somebody fell down while walking to the minivan and rolled several miles down the hill to his or her death?
If you guys need any more solutions to complex social problems, I'm always available. You're welcome.
I have forwarded your sane and sober suggestions to the Hahn residence.
imbg, you provide such humor. People in our area do not fall down hills. They tend to fall down cliffs, as you have sublimely mentioned.
Some of us have been around long enough to remember the times the POLA wanted to scrape off the whole hill to make it easier to clutter up the land with more containers. Oh yeah, that wasn't that long ago was it.
Leveling all of Eastview means that my home would have to be demolished because it is in the original Eastview area and I would have to go look for a condo somewhere nearby to live. Could you think of a condo project with a "bridge view" that could be unsuitable for anyone to live at?
The only good thing I read in the paper about this "temporary" situation is that the dog park will be moved to the....flat section next to the hill and by the existing train tracks.
Let's let kids play on the top of the hill in a fairly hard place to get emergency vehicles to, because children never get injured playing baseball, and the dogs who can run, sniff, play and have fun no matter if it is hilly or not, get to have the flat part at the bottom of the hill.
Oh yes, one more thing, there is a perfectly good baseball field, with a backstop, on dry, flat ground, where parking on a dirt lot would be one unlocked gate away, on a State highway, in San Pedro, and all anyone would have to do is convince a single landowner to allow kids to play and play the day away. I'm terribly sorry that I am trying to be reasonable. I'll be better tomorrow
MW
Didn't know where else to post this question...so here it is...
Does anyone know why there are helicopters wildly circling over the Point Fermin area with spotlights??? I live a couple of blocks away. It is Monday, May 21, 2007 at about 8:00 PM.
Thanks
Aren't there always helicopters over Point Fermin? I hardly notice them anymore.
I hear more helicopters now than I did when I lived in a particularly crime-infested area of Lawndale back in the 90's (If you've never heard of it - and most people haven't - Lawndale is nestled between scenic Inglewood and Hawthore).
since i have lived in san pedro i have become aware of countless people falling to their death, either intentionally or not, just out side my door, not counting the murders both in the front of my house on the street, and a murder/suicide at the back of my house (i swear it wasn't me) and helicopters? helicopters are over my house so often, i make all my important phone calls from the studio at angels gate because between the copters and the constant barrage of harley davidsons stopping and revving their motors at the bullshit stop sign the city put up in front of my house last year, i can hardly hear myself think, let alone order some take out on the phone.
it's only a matter of time before we are forced out of here when the rents go up, and then you'll no longer see me on this blog because i'll have to make a new one when we have to move to montebello or bell gardens, or some other place they haven't put up view condos yet.
until then, i'll be walking my dog around the railroad tracks.
Bell Gardens?! You promised me we could move to Hawaiian Gardens!
bell gardens ... WAHAHAHA!
you two have nothing to worry about. you know you can't be forced out of your home. and lahd only allows your landlord a 4% increase per annum. two such valuable contributors to society such as yourselves will have no problem keeping your income levels on the rise in accordance with that sort of hike. and if you can't then I suppose you could, I dunno, just budget for it.
or there's the other wacky option no one likes to talk about. I mean, if rents do go up in the next few years and all these richer folks who can afford more do move into pedro, guess you could just, um, er, compete? better yourselves? keep up?
I know it's unheard of, especially in a place like 'merica, but
stranger things have happened.
or you could just be like Calamari and think all those new doctors, lawyers, engineers & business people (real profitable business people, and not just ones who base their business model around what type of beer they serve on Thursday nights) around you can only afford more than you because they've dug themselves into a debt hole. Not 'cuz they've actually done better than you or anything.
It may interest you to know that the Port already has plans to convert Knoll Hill to a parking structure for the cruise ship terminal and also use some of it for freeway on/off ramps and right of ways to the china shipping terminal and cruise ship center. this opportunity of the temporary ball fields will allow them to declare eminent domain and take the rest of the privately owned properties on the site (there are several including the family residence.) then, when the ball fields relocate to the sanitation property, as is planned, the Port will be able to proceed. At that point, Knoll Hill will never again be used as a passive park, no matter what is promised in the meantime by the council office or port. Definitely don't trust THEM...
I never thought Knoll Hill was a good location for a dog park, (tho we use it) but its a terrible location for ball fields. I won't believe the fire department has signed off on this location until I hear from them directly - none of this "the council office says" they approve. If it was approved by lafd, you know inappropriate political pressure has been applied.
I really hope this doesn't happen.
or there's the other wacky option no one likes to talk about. I mean, if rents do go up in the next few years and all these richer folks who can afford more do move into pedro, guess you could just, um, er, compete? better yourselves? keep up?
wtf? Okay, and you could just, um, er, go fuck yourself? That's always an option.
You're making quite a leap there assuming that we need to "better ourselves" to afford to continue to live here. I could afford to buy a VUE condo or a centre street loft, but I wouldn't, because that kind of prefab grooviness doesn't appeal to me.
Commenting that the town may be turning to shit doesn't have anything to do with income. It probably has to do with ownership, I'll give you that, because you'll rarely see a home or land owner complaining about improving the town they live/own in, even if in their heart of hearts they think the improvement is fucked up.
I wasn't born here you know, I'm not the 4th or 5th generation suckling at the port's tit or anything, so maybe it doesn't matter what I say. But I chose to come here. I chose it for what it was. What it is becoming is something quite different. If I want to scream about that a little bit because it makes me feel better, I will. You'll just have to deal with it.
Or, you know, just, um, er...
Post a Comment
<< Home