Friday, May 18, 2007

Someone just got shot outside my house.

About 15-20 minutes ago, about 7-8 shots were fired from what sounded like a small caliber, semi-automatic handgun, killing some dude directly in front of my neighbor's house, before fleeing on what sounded like a small motorcycle. LAFD & LAPD have responded, and are trying to sort out what happened. Other than that I've got nothing to add at this point.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and where exactly would that be?

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that just sucks. I'm sorry you had to witness that.

On a totally un-related topic, what is this reference I keep hearing to "REAL San Pedrans"? Guess I haven't been 'round long enough to know the exact definition. I heard it originates from an article in San Pedro Magazine? If anyone can post the full text of that piece on this blog, that'd be even better.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about the shooting.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

I live just down from 1st & Grand. The guy was shot directly in front of the house with the glassed in, lit up, Catholic shrine.

There's a whole bunch of family/friends of the deceased milling about outside. All I know about him, was that he was wearing blue pants and a brown shirt and was black.

About the Real San Pedran thing. It way, way predates San Pedro Magazine, although they may have re-printed it. It's some old tongue-in-cheek thing that you occasionally encounter around town. It think it may have originally been printed in the News Pilot or the Breeze.

If you'd like to read the whole thing, it's framed and on the wall at Baja Fish on Gaffey, between 6th & 7th Streets. It's basically a list of characteristics, and not meant to be taken seriously, although I'm sure there's some jackass out there who takes it seriously. It is an artifact of San Pedro's xenophobic and/or provincial tendencies, though.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! I have it on my wall even though I don't live in Pedro anymore. It's totally meant to be taken tongue-in-cheek, although you're right that there are probably some people out there who see it as "THE BE ALL-END ALL." It's a nice little piece of nostalgia for those old enough to remember some of the really obscure stuff...

On a separate note, I'm really sorry you had to witness that this morning. That never bodes well first thing in the morning, or any time.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I take the "real San Pedran" thing a little differently. It usually roots itself in how long you've lived here and the family and friends connections you have to the folks who REALLY made the San Pedro "community" what it is. Although the real San Pedran characteristics listing is alittle tongue-in-cheek, it really does apply to allot of Pedro folks who have deep roots in this town or people who we know that it tags spot on. If you know what I'm talking about, then I think you are a real San Pedran. The list certainly doesn't include kids with guns on small motorcycles! Anyhow, the "real San Pedran" thing is a good thing in my opinion. I can also understand why there are those who feel alienated by the real San Pedran thing.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Real San Pedran was originally a column written by Steve Marconi for the now closed News-Pilot. He now writes for More San Pedro and in his first column wrote about his most famous column's origin.

Essentially it was written on deadline to fill some space and for the most part was a stream of conscious listing of characteristics of what he thought described a San Pedran.

You can find the column plenty of places. Pinned behind the day's activities sign at the Elks Lodge, in the Historical Society's archives and framed on many a garage wall about town.

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did gang scum do the shooting? What has been determined?

10:41 PM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

I've still heard nothing about the investigation of the shooting.

5:37 AM  
Blogger mjp said...

Gang scum? Come on now.

I'm sure it was nothing more than an argument over dibs on a 16th floor penthouse Vue home. Sometimes these things turn sour.

It's just something we'll have to get used to around here now.

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i forwarded this to jill leovy at the la times. she runs the homicide report.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

Thanks. I'm more than a little weirded out that the Breeze runs a series of articles every time some jackass falls or jumps off Point Fermin, but there's apparently no need to cover a drive by in a quiet residential neighborhood. Me and my neighbors literally know next to zero about what happened.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's nothing funny about murder, especially when it happens outside your house.

But there is something funny about knowing that Anonymous 10:41 PM up there has been waiting months--months!--for the opportunity to type the words "gang scum" once again here on LOTE (where dreams come true, especially tiny little dreams).

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah...it wasn't gang related....Nah

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard that it was a Latino gang that killed the black kid and that serious work had to be done over the weekend to keep friends/family of the kid from retaliating. An oh, btw IMBG Anonymous 10:41 wasn't the previous person that posted "Gang Scum" here months ago...it was me and I think it pretty accurately reflects what they are. However I'm sure you'll come up with some smarmy response that defies all common sense, but sure reads cute!

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, not if you're going to put me on the spot like that. Sheesh.

1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home