Thursday, May 24, 2007

The sound of Bisno blinking?

Bisno's apparently offering a "project revision" next month (Breeze Story). No real details, but it obviously involves a reduced number of units. I don't want Bisno building anything in my community, but it will be interesting to see who bends over to accept the proposal that he's probably wanted the whole time - I don't think any of us are naive enough to believe that he ever really intended to build 2,300 units.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's standard operating procedure. come in with a project asking for X, pissing everybody off. developer then offers Y, defusing everyone around, who say "that's a lot better."

any guesses on how far he goes?

I'm guessing he will keep it at about 1,600-1,700.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

I don't think he'll offer less than 1700 units. I think he's actually kicked that number around himself.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two Ponte Vista CAC meetings ago LADOT reported that using a trip generation traffic formula that was closer to the actual type of development being planned than what was used in the DEIR showed that the max number of units that were mitigate-able were 1800 and change. My guess is that Bob comes back and says that he took traffic worries into consideration and proposes something in the 1700s.

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Littlejohn's report that Bisno is prepared to put his revised plan on the table. Is Bob kidding? Do we want thousands more people trying to get in and out of his (revised planned) open community including commercial shops, coffee shops and who knows what else?

Opening the area to the public will increase traffic on Western NOT reduce it. Please, how is it "opening" the otherwise gated community will reduce traffic? Bob or anyone working for Bob or supporter's of Bobs.........please explain!

5:48 PM  
Blogger M Richards said...

I think Bob was thinking X all the time as a way of seeing if we were stupid enough to let him have his 2,300. I don't think he was prepared for the CAC to real him in as much as they did and I am even astounded by R Neighborhoods Are 1 and their efforts.

Sure, I is quite possible that Bob's "new" proposal is one he has had since day one, but I still think he was trying his best to sneak through his 2,300 to an unsuspecting community. Had the CAC and the efforts of Harbor City, Northwest,and Coastal Neighborhood Councils, along with the over 7,000 folks who have aready signed the R1 petition, and the outcries by so many folks about his giant plans, we may already have been looking at the concrete trucks pouring foundations for twenty buildings.

Now as far as his new proposal, we need to look at it very carefully and know that he is probably going to increase the number of Senior Housing units and lower the number of non-age restricted condos, all constituting a project that will still be too big for OUR community.

Please always remember and never forget that owner-occupied condominiums become rentals and leased out units too much of the time and that makes all the numbers in all the studies irrelevant.

The sneak Reggie has been caught, now we have one more creature to deal with and I trust Reggie much more than Bob!
MW

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous 5:48 wrote:

Please, how is it "opening" the otherwise gated community will reduce traffic?

A better question might be: how do you figure that opening this particular gated "community" in this particular way would increase traffic? I doubt that a lot of people from outside the immediate area would be making special trips to Ponte Vista to sit in coffee shops (nail salons, convenience stores) when they've already got coffee shops (etc.) close to home.

I'm thinking that in practice, any inbound car trips generated by commercial businesses inside the P.V. development would be canceled out by outbound car trips prevented by those same businesses. In fact, probably more trips would be prevented than generated. (This is assuming that the businesses being contemplated are fairly generic, convenience-type shops, rather than department stores, trendy boutiques, or other places that tend to draw from beyond the neighborhood.)

Don't get me wrong, I maintain that any development at all on that site is beyond fucking stupid. But this particular idea, even if it's an insincere negotiating ploy, is not as outlandish as you seem to think it is.

1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't any of you anti-Bisno, R1 people object to the whole idea of Ponte Vista being a "gated community"? It sounds like at least one of you is pushing to keep it gated, which is pretty weird.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Marshall Astor said...

I really dislike the idea of gated communities, anywhere.

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home