Waterfront Development Updates
I don't know how long this has been out there, but the Port has put out a pair of really excellent documents on both the San Pedro Waterfront and the Wilmington Waterfront. While I'm still not able to get 100% behind all aspects of the project, it's by far the most clear and useful explanation of their intentions that they've published in the years that I've been following the development.
Yes, they intend to build a frightening amount of cruise ship facilities, including the Outer Harbor cruise terminals that no one wants, but they've finally put in print that they intend to end breakbulk operations in the outer harbor, as well as move Westways out of San Pedro. That's a trade-off that I can consider, but they don't outline anywhere what's going to become of the to-be-former breakbulk warehouses, or Warehouse #1, which I think needs to be better explained. It also outlines a Red Car expansion that might give some purpose to the little engine to nowhere. There is, also still a noticeable lack of a "visionary regional attraction" which I think needs to be a part of this project.
I'm sure that we can all disagree about the process, and none of us are going to feel 100% served by the results, at least POLA has turned the corner on communicating their intentions. Now if they could only start scheduling meetings at a time that the public can actually attend.
Download the San Pedro Waterfront docs here.
Download the Wilmington Waterfront docs here.
Yes, they intend to build a frightening amount of cruise ship facilities, including the Outer Harbor cruise terminals that no one wants, but they've finally put in print that they intend to end breakbulk operations in the outer harbor, as well as move Westways out of San Pedro. That's a trade-off that I can consider, but they don't outline anywhere what's going to become of the to-be-former breakbulk warehouses, or Warehouse #1, which I think needs to be better explained. It also outlines a Red Car expansion that might give some purpose to the little engine to nowhere. There is, also still a noticeable lack of a "visionary regional attraction" which I think needs to be a part of this project.
I'm sure that we can all disagree about the process, and none of us are going to feel 100% served by the results, at least POLA has turned the corner on communicating their intentions. Now if they could only start scheduling meetings at a time that the public can actually attend.
Download the San Pedro Waterfront docs here.
Download the Wilmington Waterfront docs here.
Labels: development, Port of Los Angeles, San Pedro Waterfront
7 Comments:
Ending breakbulk operations in the OH is not a good thing, and it's not a "trade-off." They're not doing it for you; they're doing it because the current breakbulk (steel and fruit) docks in the OH are in the way of their planned cruise terminals and the associated roads and parking lots.
The fruit and steel operations are pretty much the last of the old-skool port activities here on the Pedro side of the harbor. Along with the rump fishing fleet, they give the area what's left of its flavor.
Whether the removal of Westways is a trade-off or not depends on what they replace it with.
The warehouses will be in the way of the cruise ships, so there's the implicit answer to your question. Warehouse One is probably a little less vulnerable in this regard, but only a little.
The lack of any single gigantically expensive white elephant...er, I mean "visionary regional attraction"...is a good thing--possibly the only good thing about the plan.
As for the rest of it, it's just the usual junk. Bike paths to nowhere, public art ranging from harmless to cringeworthy, "interpretive signage" to make absolutely sure that nobody has an unscripted experience, assorted other expensive lily-gilding ("Angel's Walk") and of course, tons o' parking.
I'm not sure what makes this document better than any of the other ones I've seen promulgated by the Port. It reads like a bad PowerPoint presentation, which I guess may make the information easier to swallow for people just tuning in. The project itself hasn't gotten noticeably less lame.
Heard this on NPR during my drive home: They caught Reggie!
Reggie article here:
http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/articles/7675862.html
They fenced him in, got duct tape around his neck to close his mouth, covered his eyes and piled on top of him, Hahn said. After catching him a little after 3 p.m., they put him in a truck bound for the Los Angeles Zoo.
Anybody know if the LA Zoo is a signatory to the Geneva Conventions?
the port wants knoll hill for freeway/roadway right of ways and a multilevel cruise ship parking structure/passenger transfer point. that is why they are going along with the temporary ball fields on that site, because that will allow them to take remaining knoll hill properties by eminent domain. when the ball fields relocate to the sanitation property in a few years, knoll hill will not be a passive park. and there will be no room for a dog park where they are planning to relocate at the base of the hill. dog park people, start negotiating now for dog park room at Milke Flores park because you will need it soon.
As for me, I am getting out of this place!!
For those that missed the Special Meeting on 5/17, the Port has now added the streaming video of the meeting its website here:
http://www.portoflosangeles.org/commission_video.htm
I haven't watched the video yet but I'm guessing they will be talking to the powerpoint presentations you've eluded to.
I don't get what is supposed to have changed either, looks like the same crap that nobody needs or wants.
Post a Comment
<< Home